Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removable blade converstions?

For the blade holder you can definitely use the old version, Hasbro FX Obi-Wan ROTS conversion kit

It has a very tight fit into the removable blade hilt and there's plenty of space for the wiring.
    I recently completed one Obi and 3 more are currently in progress.

The only main concern with this conversion is the activation slider, which is very very difficult do disassemble without breaking it.
    After trying several solutions, we got tired of it and just tore it apart from the hilts.
    After all in our case we don't look for screen accuracy but for reliability in combat, so we are going to discard the boxes and install the slider switch in a different way.

I know there's a conversion tutorial for a nonremovable version. Is there one for the removable version? Thanks for the link to the Obi conversion kit.

There are a couple of them in the "MR and Hasbro to luxeon 3w conversions" section of the forum, first two in the sticky list
    You can have a look at the Anakin 2010 removable blade tutorial since it has many common points with the Obi.

The key point is removing the activation box in a clean way, and the suggestion from Jay-Gon about using an hair drier might be the best solution.
    Once you remove the box you'll see the small phillips screw that holds the electronic module in position; remove it and the module will slide out.

For the electronic board, you can follow all the steps in the tutorial; all Hasbro removable blade boards seems to be the same with just different sound fonts.
    You may want to order an impact sensor from the shop and solder it to the board instead of desoldering the one hidden in the blade, it's far easier this way.

Last thing, don't bother about shortening the board module box, the Obi has a lot of internal space and the module will fit nicely without modifications.

To secure the blade holder I used a button screw located in the middle of the neck and a set screw to hold the blade located in the emitter top.
    I normally set them 180° apart to have a combined action on the blade holder, but many other solutions can be used.

I'll have to give it a try once I get the parts I need. Can't wait to show it off once it's complete. One last question concerning the screws.... what size worked best for you for the set and button screws? I don't want to screw this up.
    Last edited by Karotta79; 08-16-2012 at 11:02 PM.