Thread: Pipes, random parts, and MHS parts: Building a "Static" hilt

Default Pipes, random parts, and MHS parts: Building a "Static" hilt

Hello everyone. Apologies if you get tired of seeing Darth_Plexus post threads everywhere. But Im really into the whole saber building process. It keeps me... Busy..
    But to the point. I was wondering if there are ways or people with experience that can give me some tips on building a static hilt, aka simply a hilt with no electronics, but a very believeable design. Some MR and Hasbro hilts are scaled and sections are wider to fit the electronics in them. For example. The choke of the Luke ROTJ in the movie, is wayyy thinner than the Force fx build.
    I'd like to make my own variant of a Luke ROTJ or Obi-wan ROTS/ANH hilt, but have the parts not be so wide. Are there any pieces that anyone knows of? Where would I get them? Home Depot, Lowes, a site, etc? I know some people build hilts from sink, pipe and washers etc. and they look noticeably different, but similar to the movie.
    I still want to use some parts from TCSS, so Im not trying to shut them out or give negative rep to, Its just a question that will significantly help my movie.. Any help is appreciated.
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

You can get them right here at the TCSS store in the MHS section under extensions...this is the piece you would use for a Luke ROTJ style saber: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ri...ombo-P520.aspx and there is a similar v-grooved 'grenade' like version for Obi ROTS/ANH style look.

They are not exact because TCSS is The CUSTOM saber shop not The REPLICA Saber Shop but are much closer with a thinner neck than the MR/Hasbro Force FX versions.

Oh wow I feel stupid now because I never paid attention to that neck. I always looked at the neck of the blade holder, and this one seemed to be too thick. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Sc...yle--P188.aspx
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

The bladeholders screw into the front of the pieces I linked and yes the neck of that BH is thicker than on the screen Obi saber but it has to be because the 1" blade fits inside it and wouldnt if it was thinner...the screen props used very skinny carbon fibre rods that didn't light up which is why their necks could be much thinner but to produce a thin neck saber that can light up requires tradeoffs...either skinnier 3/4" blades that don't light up as well, or a shallow bladeholder that doesnt hold the blade as securely for dueling, or as with these two pieces used together where the rear 'neck' can be thinner but the 'forward' neck on the BH is a bit thicker to make it a good dueler with a bright 1" blade.

Imo the TCSS solution while not exact is a good functional compromise that looks much closer than the MR/Hasbro FX...if you go with it I suspect you'll be pleased how good it looks in person.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 02-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.

I most likely will go with it. It's a good compromise indeed, especially seeing how I can remove the blade at will. Im just looking at options for hero and stunt hilts, for my movie. I start out with a saber similar to Luke and Obi-wan's, and its only for a short while. So I was gonna use a static one, or make one from TCSS, which I can use, then actually work on somewhere down the road.