Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring diagram help

I'm still fighting the drooling over here, but let me see if I understand:

A SPDT would allow me to control two circuits. In position one, everythign is off. In position two, the PLI and resonator is active. In position three, the whole shebang is active. Yes?

A DPDT would allow me to control two circuits. In position one, everything is off. In position two, the PLI and resonator is active. In position three, everythign is active. Yes? Why use one versus the other?

Now, if using a SPDT switch, how does that work with a pushbutton switch? Push down once to activate the PLI and resonator, push down again to activate everything and push down yet again to shut everythign off?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's a little different from what you describe. Think about their meanings... a SPDT mean you have a single pull (one push of the switch) and you throw two circuits (sharing the common ground). A DPDT exists because sometimes you can't share a ground and must isolate them. Since I can use two common grounds on there I'm actually activating four circuits with two throws.

For a push button style switch there isn't much to say for the double throw... it really isn't any differnt from a SPDT except you get the extra poles to work from.

Now for a slide or rocker switch lots of possibilities can come. This is where the poles are nice and you can have what you describe. Depending on the switch you could have it as one position turns on the PLI and Resonator then the rest is turned on in the last position.

What I was mentioning for Corbin's safety is that to turn it on you must have activated the safety first. This would make it so you can't accidentally turn it on. There are plenty of poles left on corbin's diagram so your desired arm then activate it idea might be possible. A rocker or slide switch would be much better to get it done with one switch.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

My head is gonna asplode from all the choices. The customer is being quite vague about how she wants it done, telling me only "I don't care, just so long as everything works". Gee, she's so helpful. Good thing I stand to profit from this fiasco.

I understand a bit more now about the switches. A pushbutton, regardless of how small, might look out of place on this saber, so perhaps a slide or rocker would be best.

I still want two separate circuits, but honestly, which do you think would be more well received and give a better effect...safety circuit arming the PLI and Resonator then a separate circuit to turn the rest on, two independent circuits that must be turned on in the correct order, or a single switch with multiple positions? Personally, I lean towards the safety circuit/power circuit idea or the single switch with multiple positions, but I have digressed. In terms of aesthetic cleanliness, a single switch would be better..

<font color="red">Okay, that settles it...lets go with a single switch, most likely a slide switch that has multiple positions controlling the circuits. How would that diagram look?</font id="red"> <font color="red"> I'm thinking first position forward arms the saber, second position forward turns everything on, and the position all the way back towards the user turns everything off. Sound reasonable?</font id="red">

All I know is what I want it to do...not how best to go about it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jonitus

<font color="red">Okay, that settles it...lets go with a single switch, most likely a slide switch that has multiple positions controlling the circuits. How would that diagram look?</font id="red"> <font color="red"> I'm thinking first position forward arms the saber, second position forward turns everything on, and the position all the way back towards the user turns everything off. Sound reasonable?</font id="red">

All I know is what I want it to do...not how best to go about it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good call, I am working on the same setup but using a rgb led so that one up is blue and two up is red ala hasbro color changer. I need to finish fussin at Comcast but I will draw that up.

<center></center>

Hey, someone else with the same plans/desires, but lacking the electronic know-how! I want to build a saber with all those same parts, but have the PLI and resonator on all the time. From the sounds of things, that's what will happen here. Am I correct?

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/</center>

JR do you mean on all the time when the saber is on or all the time as in if there are batteries it hums.

<center></center>

My goal is to have the PLI and resonator activate when the switch is pushed forward to the first position from "OFF". When the switch is pushed to the second position from "OFF", the PLI and resonator are still active, but so are the sound and the LED driver board. The "OFF" position cuts power to everything, so the saber is "dead".

Jon I got your setup, I was just tryin to figure out if JR's is the same or not.

<center></center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3

Jon I got your setup, I was just tryin to figure out if JR's is the same or not.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I was replying to JR to make sure he knew which way I was going. I should've quoted. My bad.

*LOL* I can see the misunderstanding. Poor wording on my part.

Yup, it looks like Jonitus will have the same set-up that I want to build, also.

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/</center>