Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Saber Build - Single-Handed "Jian" Style, Wrapped Hilt Saber

Default First Saber Build - Single-Handed "Jian" Style, Wrapped Hilt Saber

Greetings everyone! After a year of entertaining the idea of building a saber, and lurking forums, I've decided to go for it. I'll post a build log here, and will probably have some questions as I move forward. I have a bit of experience with simple machining and electronics, so I'm pretty confident this will come out well with a bit of patience.

The concept has been sketched and mostly spec'd. (I'll post sketches later.) It will be a single-handed Chinese "Jian" style hilt. Well, it doesn't look much like a Jian but it is meant to be wielded in that style. The build shouldn't be too crazy, but fitment of components will be a bit tight as I'm using 1.25 sink tube for the main grip. Reason being the grip will be wrapped in cord, and I want the pommel and upper body the same width as the grip, if not a bit wider. I haven't seen anyone do this, so I'm a bit concerned that there's a very good reason for that. However, if the fitment just doesn't work out I have a Plan B. 't using MHS parts for most of the build, sink tube for the grip, and an MHS sleeve that I will cut into a reversed blade shield.

Will be using a Petit Crouton soundboard (assuming I can get one) and Luxeon LED. Planning to use a few recessed accent LEDs, but will probably not use a vibration motor, since it will be tight in there and may be difficult to isolate the soundboard (see.. I've read the manual. ) Figure I can always add that later...

Stay tuned, and thanks in advance for your feedback!

Best,

J

Scanned Image.jpg

Here's the rough sketch. Proportions are obviously not 100% accurate, but this will give you the idea.

Are you planning to do some sort of fiber hilt wrapping?

Just an heads up, you won't be able to place the illuminate switch that close to the emitter.
    You need to consider the blade holder thread (0.5" if I'm not wrong) and some more space to fit the LED module.
    If you try and use the Internal View tool in the MHS Builder you can get an idea of the available internal spaces.

Try it out in the MHS builder and you'll see the internal view of the parts your using. You'll also want to take into consideration the heatsink which will take up a bit more space beyond the threads. An inch to be safe. Basically the blade holder threads and heatsink will fill most if not all of the sinktube adapters internal space. That pretty much leaves the pommel insert as the only option for that switch.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 02-02-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks for the tips. Ya, it would be nice if the builder had more of the internal components available to spec out and test for fit. I was planning to use a 2" extension between the emitter and the sink tube adapter, but it looks like I will need a 3" to make it work. Will make the saber a bit longer than I was going for, but it should still be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Are you planning to do some sort of fiber hilt wrapping?
    Yes. Have a few different styles I'm considering.

691.jpg

This is the prelims to my very first TCSS build... I too have to figure out what kind of wrapping on the hilt I should do. I found "pony bead" thin leather at a Hobby Lobby, but I don't know if that'll be efficitant enough. I may just get a "farmer's bundle" and just chop stuff up.
    "Speak the truth, always...even if it leads to your death."

So, after a while of having various items being backordered at different times, waiting, having some become available and others then go on backorder (ack!)... I decided to just order what I could to start getting some "tactile visualization" going.

Here's my pile of stuff so far...

IMG_0630.jpg

I've played around with some of the fitment, done some more diagraming of the assembly plans and created a wiring diagram for the electronics, including their fitment. I'm pretty confident on how this is all going to go together. We'll see.

The sink tube for the grip has been cut to size. I had hoped I'd be able to stack the PC board and battery on either side of each other on the chassis, but the 1.25 sink tube is too narrow to allow it, so they'll have to go in one behind the other. Fortunately, there's just enough length inside the grip to allow for it. I'm not going for any internal fancies like crystal chambers, etc... It's just not practical with this design and, since it's my first build, I drew the line there for now.

IMG_0632.jpgIMG_0634.jpg

I'm waiting on one of the new 2w woofer speakers (backordered), and a Li-Ion charger before I can start testing electronics. In the meantime, I can get to drilling and dremeling...