Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A few Questions about switches, batteries, speakers and pommel recharge ports

Default A few Questions about switches, batteries, speakers and pommel recharge ports

I had a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

My first question and most important I think is about battery options.
    I plan on using an Engin RGBW or RGGB and a PC or similar sound board.
    I plan on running one of two ways.
    With the PC I plan to run GG in series and RB in series for a FOC. Or GB and W for clash to get a cyan.
    With the other board I'm looking at I am planing on running RGB in parallel for color mixing and W for flash.

Both of these options are going to take a lot of battery.
    Right now I've seen a few options.
    2 or 4AA, not sure if they would be able to keep up with two led let alone a third for clash.
    A stick of 18650s which..MAY fit, but only just and also depends on my 2nd questions answer.
    I've also found a 17670 which is 3.7V and 1500mAH, though I believe these are still just to big to fit side by side in an MHS hilt. Am I wrong on that? Please say I am.

Can anyone suggest any other battery set ups that I may have missed?
    I have seen Sunrider's mod to fit 18650's side by side, however that wouldn't really work for my saber design.

My 2nd question.
    How far into the hilt does the "16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Nickel Plated Switch" from the store go?
    If you say 16mm I'm going to kick myself. lol

The next question is about the new 2w bass speaker.
    I noticed it is a good bit thicker then the premium speaker, don't know how much exactly, looks at least 2 or 3 times thicker.
    My question though, is if I'm hurting for space, is the new 2watt speaker that much better then the premium and how much thinner is the premium speaker?

My last question is about Recharge ports in pommels, like when using Insert style 6.
    Does the recharge connector being there effect the sound any?
    I haven't been able to find any posts complaining about it.
    I just thought I would be safe and ask, it could just be a known drawback so no one complains.
    I'm hoping not, as its the only place I can really see myself putting..let alone fitting a recharge port.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
    Oh and
    May the blaster be at your side. *snicker*

Come on, the joke at the end wasn't that bad guys.

I hate to double post but this has gone almost 3 days now with no response
    Maybe if I get it up in the list someone with an answer will see it this time.

I've decided to find a pair of 14650 1600mAH batteries, so unless you have a better pair to suggest that one is answered.
    I still haven't been able to find out about the switch, speakers or the recharge in the pommel though, so some help there would be appreciated.

You are very close to making these decisions for your self. A bit more research and you will decide. Opinion will widely vary on the questions you ask.

Research isn't going either way on the speaker, the recharge port in the pommel or the switch.
    I have yet to find anyone stating whether or not a recharge in the pommel effects the sound, so I suppose I should just assume not.
    The speakers again, I have not found anyone stating how thick they are, though with my nearing final design I'm not sure it maters so much anymore.
    The switch again I can't find anyone stating the switches length...and again may not matter looking at my possible final build.

Also, I'm not sure how opinions can vary on any of that information, except the speaker qualities.

Speaking of which I'm debating just grabbing both and hearing/deciding for myself.
    Worst case scenario I have a speaker that would be perfect for a sith saber.

I've been trying to build a light saber but i do not no what i need

Quote Originally Posted by lukeskyrunner666 View Post
    I've been trying to build a light saber but i do not no what i need
    uhm....ok, start by reading this subforum's topics.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ene-Start-Here

Once you decide what you want to do, look through the forums for the specific information you need.
    If you don't understand something go ahead and ask the forum, just make sure you've at least tried to figure it out yourself first.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

DYI FORUM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrek View Post
    I have yet to find anyone stating whether or not a recharge in the pommel effects the sound,
    If you do a search, you will see a multitude of Sabersmiths and Hobbyists have put the speaker at many different positions through out the hilt. So,,,,,,Sound isn't effected.

The speakers again, I have not found anyone stating how thick they are,
    Look in the shop. Your answers are there.
    Premium Speaker;http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pr...eaker-P77.aspx (HINT: Look at the PDF)
    2w bass speaker;http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/2w-bass-speaker-P662.aspx

The switch again I can't find anyone stating the switches length...
    There is 54 different switches in the shop. Most have the same dimensions. So which one do you plan on using?
    Last edited by Loachri MacTalabh; 02-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    DYI FORUM
    Sorry, I'm not sure what that means. did you mean DIY?

If you do a search, you will see a multitude of Sabersmiths and Hobbyists have put the speaker at many different positions through out the hilt. So,,,,,,Sound isn't effected.
    Yah, I had assumed that but just wanted to be sure.

Look in the shop. Your answers are there.
    Premium Speaker;http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pr...eaker-P77.aspx (HINT: Look at the PDF)
    2w bass speaker;http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/2w-bass-speaker-P662.aspx
    Oh wow, I feel kind of stupid now, never even saw that.
    So it is about a third the thickness.

There is 54 different switches in the shop. Most have the same dimensions. So which one do you plan on using?
    I'm talking about this one specifically.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16...itch-P471.aspx

The only two that have MHS Builder spots are the two illuminated switch types, "man are they" long and the shorter version of the same.

Thanks for the response.

@Garrek I noticed that you said that you were going to run your led dies in series.... Depending on the power solution you're going to use, you might want to think about running them in parallel, since running them in series will tend to eat your batteries rather quickly, that's been my experience anyway.

Best of luck on your build

Cheers

Ka'ge
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

Quote Originally Posted by Ka'getsu View Post
    @Garrek I noticed that you said that you were going to run your led dies in series.... Depending on the power solution you're going to use, you might want to think about running them in parallel, since running them in series will tend to eat your batteries rather quickly, that's been my experience anyway.

Best of luck on your build

Cheers

Ka'ge
    As I understand it, wiring two LED in
    Series is 3/4v and 1000ma to 6/8v and 1000ma.
    Parallel is 3/4V and 1000ma to 3/4V and 2000ma, or 1500 I think is the most a PC can go.
    So two led in parallel should run half as long as two in series on the same battery pack.

Maybe you "or I" am confusing the terms. I'll admit I have done that more then once.