Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Reveal

That's cool. I've been noodling on doing a full-internal build for a while, because I keep thinking that it would be really, really cool to make one with a transparent outer shell... acrylic tube, or fused quartz, or something. (And now that I've said that, someone will go, "Oh, it's been done so much better than you can do it! See?")

Well, it has been done, but not very often. There aren't many good transparent materials for building a hilt, unless you just want a show piece. It'd be a poor idea to use for dueling.

With that being said, GO FOR IT! Don't ever let someone tell you not to do something because it'll be hard, or done better by someone else, or whatever. If that were the case, there'd only be about a dozen people in the world making lightsabers.

Sloth, keep up the good work. I'm really enjoying the direction this one is going.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

You're funny Sloth! You said the other sabers you built were practice! HA!
    Follow Your Bliss

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Remember when I said they may be a little too thick, well.... just disregard that. They look just right the thickness you have them now. Keep up the awesome work.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    Remember when I said they may be a little too thick, well.... just disregard that. They look just right the thickness you have them now. Keep up the awesome work.
    hah, will do

Here are all of the fins cut across the middle.

The bottom cutouts didn't turn out too bad. I need to drill my radiator pipe holes just above these next.

I need to machine out my spacers, they will be the next pieces I need to make.

I still need to mill flats in the other two plates, so my spacers will seat properly, and everything will stay straight once assembled.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Looking awesome! Is the crystal an aqua marine? It's got great clarity.

Is that a quartz "aqua aura" crystal you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Is that a quartz "aqua aura" crystal you're using?
    Yep, aqua aura quartz.

Hmm, I wonder if there is a shade of quartz that would be good for green...

Quote Originally Posted by YoRn Mangers View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if there is a shade of quartz that would be good for green...
    I usually just use white and a green LED...

What do I call this.... the plug can? Top of the crystal chamber? Whatever it is, this is where my wires exit the conduit and go to my top focusing crystal and on to the DIN plug to interface with the blade.