Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Reveal

Almost done with the weathering, I think I need to do another pass to the windvane fan, and maybe the grenade a bit darker.

I also need to patina the upper neck a bit, especially the groove and underside of the blade anchor, as I like how my other two Obi's look compared to the new one. Although I am liking the contrasts of my new emitter much better than the other two.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Front of the blade anchor machined to fit the wires, LED string base, foam diffuser and outer plastic diffuser.

Upper neck weathered, blade anchor drilled out a bit more for correct depth, blade anchor holes drilled, tapped and countersunk.

A little rocket surgery before bed, and the bladed grenade/emitter section is complete!

Just inspiring

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

If only your keyboard keys were in Aurebesh that last picture could pass for one of an actual Jedi building a lightsaber lol.

haha thanks..

An unplanned bit of work here. I had originally bored out this Russrep aluminum booster on the left for use in this saber, but it just didn't look right to me. Very black, slightly uneven machining, and a bit light. Thanks to a fellow forum member, I snagged a steel version of the same booster made by Russrep. This was much better machined, matched the coloring of my grenades, and is a much better weight. Boring this one out was a lot easier than the first one, as things get easier the more you repeat them. I am much happier with this piece now. It's fitting with closer tolerances, so no brass shims needed, and it looks much better. Time well spent, as my grandfather used to say.

Well, it's finally time to light her up. See what works, see what doesn't. Crystal chamber is pretty neat, lighting progressively along with the blade. It also flickers each LED corresponding to Accubolt flickering of random segments, which is cool. It also flicker clashes with the blade.

Around a year and a half in my brain, a little over a year in production, and we have a lit blade.

The little illuminated ring under the emitter works ok, about like my other sabers.

These last shots were at a power setting of 425 out of 511.

At 475 out of 511, it gets a little crazy. This is with me setting the camera exposure correctly for the room, THEN turning it on

Letting the camera self adjust to the brightness gives this kind of pic.

Left to do: Set swing sensitivity, clash settings, select volume and brightness settings for each bank, finish the NON bladed grenade section.

There are no words in the English language, or any other as far as I know, to describe the level of "WANT!!!" I have for this saber!!! This is it, ladies and gentlemen: until Tim starts selling plasma emitters that produce blades capable of cutting through steel (or hands), and 14500-sized battery packs capable of powering a small aircraft carrier, THIS is the end-all, be-all of lightsabers for me. Congratulations!
    Boring conversation anyway...

Hands down the best saber ever. Subtle and yet full of intricacies. The weathering is perfect, the crystal chamber is amazing. Just perfect all around.

Sloth, awesome work! I admire your eye for detail and perfection. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, your sabersmithing abilities have far exceeded epic levels, in my humble opinion. Keep up the unparalleled work.

Minor video of the Obi Reveal...

http://youtu.be/ffhadDhrZQM

My daughter evidently loves lightsabers, who'dathunkit?