Thread: Creating a pulsing or "breathing" effect?

Default Creating a pulsing or "breathing" effect?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, for starters.
    Eventually I want to build my own saber, and I'm looking for it to have a pulsing or breathing effect at a rate similar to a human heartbeat.
    I know a crystal focus board will do it, but from what I am reading, I've got a better chance of being struck by lightning than being right there at the right time to score a Crystal focus board. (I work odd hours and with my luck, would be asleep or at work when a batch came up for grabs.
    So aside from that, will the other boards out there give me the effect I want?
    Would the Petit Crouton do the trick? Or are there others that will work?

Yes the Petit Crouton will give you the blade flicker effect, and it can be adjusted using it's config file to give you a pulse/breathing effect
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

the PC will give you the possibility of a flickering effect. but with the right configuration I think you will be able to achieve the effect you are hoping for.
    + flks [0-20]: speed of the energy variation / flickering effect of the blade. A high value produces a damaged saber effect while a small value generates subtile energy changes. The value 0 disables the effect (static blade).
    + flkd [0-100]: depth (in %) of the energy fluctuation effect, i.e. the the range over which the LED brightness will be affected during the effect. A low value does not modify the energy very much while a high value « digs » big steps of light intensity. To be used with the parameter flks.
    (taken from the PC1.6manual page 14)

EDIT: damn, too slow

I don't think any of the boards will give you a organic looking blade effect like a heart beat. You can get that type of signal from the accent led pads on the CF. They are getting much easier to get now too. I would use a 10w and run 2 dies from a PEX controlled by the accent led pad.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

No, the CF WILL give you a slow (or fast, it is configurable) pulse. It is VERY organic and smooth, but it is rhythmic on a straight clock. It doesn't 'beat' in the same time as a heartbeat, but it is a nice effect. Erv' has been very prolific so far with the CF, and I foresee that very soon, it will be very easy to get one

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Yes to be fair the CF can look organic in a way but not heart beat like organic. I that makes any sense.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Right, you can't change the 'beat' of the pulse, only speed and depth. So, it is more like 'breathing' than beating.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I guess breathing is really what I'm after. Is the guy who makes the CF boards stepping up production or something? Last I heard, he made them in small batches by hand, and they only came out every few months or so.
    I'll have to start checking the fx-sabers forums and see what comes up.

But if I can't get my hands on a CF, will the Crouton do as good a job? I need to look for the manual for this one.