Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arod Megil - LOTR inspired CF saber

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Arod Megil - LOTR inspired CF saber

Hello Saberfans........and LOTR fans!

After a truly exhaustive effort, Vader's Vault is proud to present:

AROD MEGIL

Several months back, Dave316 here on the forums came to us and asked if we could take a commission for a very special saber. As luck would have it, we had a customer that needed to sell their spot in our build log for a November/December spot. He wanted a special saber to commemorate his proposal to his girlfriend, and present this saber as a gift. Dave and Jenna are avid LOTR fans, as are we, and when he told us his plan and his ideas for the saber and the proposal, we just had to take it on. With Deanna being a sucker for romantics, she was a driving force for doing certain things on this saber. Between the two of us, some of the ideas went over and above the original concept, but that's the way art works.

Dave chose Hyperion from our build gallery as a starting point for the design. He liked the purple blade, accents and the flowing curvy brass shrouds. With that as a base, I sketched out a few ideas and quickly settled on one that subtly incorporated the flowing designs of the movie swords, as well as some Tengwar script. The script following the curve of the forward shroud came from my love of the Sting sword and the engraving on the blade. It follows similar lines. Dave is also in on our second Starkiller run, and since that is going to be his personal saber, he wanted this one to tie in to it with a crystal chamber. Crystal chambers on sabers can be subtle and inconspicuous, or full on exposed and a center point to a piece. We went with the latter. It was a perfect spot to add some detail work to bring a saber to the next level. Starting with a perfect jewelry quality amethyst crystal point, I build the chamber around it. I made chamber support rods similar to the ones used on the Starkiller and added gold leaf and vine work spiraling them. The forward headpiece of the chamber is comprised of sandwiched engraved acrylic delrin discs that are lit up using individual accent LEDs.

I didn't want any obtrusions on the outside of the hilt, preferring the focal point of the topography to be the heavy brass ring. So there are no control boxes, covertecs or d-rings, or even an external recharge port to take away from the sleek elegance. For switches, Dave requested a purple AV switch and for the aux switch I custom made a recessed brass button with an inset 4mm Mystic Topaz (incorrectly said Alexandrite in the vid, which didn't look as good and was put back in the drawer) that is back lit with a green lighted tactile switch.

For purple hilt accents, I wanted it to be something that would 'fit' with a sword design and instead of powdercoating, I used a heavily patterned deep purple leather for the rear grip. This was stretched and fitted over a contoured grip.

The Ring was a feature from my original concept that I wanted to make sure made it onto the final design. Actually, it's pretty amazing how little was changed from the original sketch. I found some thick brass tubing and bored it to just fit over the brass shrouds. I lathed it into an approximate shape then engraved and polished it. This was then soldered onto the rear shroud to keep it from moving. The rear grip, as shown in the video, unscrews to give access to the SD card and the recharge port. This is why the ring was soldered on (like brass plumbing fittings) so it wouldn't move.

The engraving is probably what took the most time. I had to buy a new tool (oh, the horror ) and then spend a couple of weeks getting to know it and practice....a lot. During this time Deanna spent some time writing a new Ring poem which is a play on the original Ring poem from the books/movies. We felt that just using the original would be bad luck as it was a really dark binding spell. Deanna wrote a three line poem to coincide with the last three lines of the original but this time with a more positive slant She then had to translate it from English, to Sindarin since just writing something in English in the Tengwar script is silly. After that was done I had to spend time learning the script and practicing line after line, after line......after line, until I had a good feel for it. The three lines of the poem read thus: "One Ring to confirm their love. One Ring to unite them. One Ring to bring them both, and in this lifetime bind them."

It was at this time that Dave told us that he was having Sanjuro make the stand for this. We then contacted Sanjuro and secretly had him change the Tengwar script to match what we were engraving on the saber. The stand, like all of Sanjuro's work so far, is a fantastic and elaborate 7 piece stand. It is layer upon layer of acrylic mastery. The base layer is a black disc with the Tengwar inscription. The next piece is the gold ring, and then the insert with the Sting silhouette bisecting the script. A plain clear layer is laid on top of that and locked in place by the Tower motif stand arms. The arms themselves are also engraved with the symbol of the White Tree, and a plaque spans the width of the arms.

We want to congratulate Dave and Jenna and we wish them a lifetime of happiness together!

Quick Specs:

Custom LOTR inspired hilt
    Handcut brass overlays with hand engraved Elvish script
    Brass Ring with engraved script
    Custom Ring poem, translated to Sindarin
    Patterned purple leather over contoured rear grip
    Modified purple recessed AV switch
    Custom brass aux button with inset faceted Mystic Topaz and back lit with green tactile switch
    Detailed crystal chamber with gold leaf and vine work

Pics:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ily5-gDSHIk

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Insane.

Just insane...

Your doing the engraving on our wedding rings.

P.S: MAN i would love some of those brass piping that would fit MHS parts. HINT HINT Tim
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, he sells it, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...-tube-P84.aspx

I just sand off the chrome. Voila! Brass tubing.

Actually, I had a technique that I tried on this saber and need to perfect (I spent hours removing it from these shrouds) where before I sanded off the chrome, I filled in the engraving with silver solder then sanded it down, then reheated the solder to make it concave in. It looked great in some spots, not so hot in others. When I perfect it, I will do it again. The solder didn't stick to the chrome so I didn't have to worry about cleaning the brass too much.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Goode Lawd Ahmightey thet ther just may be the PURTIEST saber ah've ever seen!!!

Seriously what could anyone single out on that when every single element on it is refined to the Maximum expression of artistry...and surely to gift a saber upon which such care has been lavished as this to one's beloved can only be applauded; who doesnt love True Love eh? BRAVO to VV and Sanjuro...and Congratulations to the lucky couple.

Beautiful really a piece of art one question were did you find a purple av switch

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I madez it

GET LATHED!

this is just unbelievable, holy crap that saber is freaking sweet!!!
    I just love these little details like the leaves in the crystal chamber.

you and your skills are truely amazing!

This is awesome and ispiring. Love your works!
    I'm new here, nice to meet you all

Initiate at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy

All your sabers are beautiful, but I believe VV has really outdone themselves this time. A truly gorgeous saber!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

That's ridiculously cool. You win again!