Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC... Go Boom!?

Default PC... Go Boom!?

I may have broken/fried my PC. I was pushing the battery pack and board in my hilt, then the SD card pops out and everything turned off. I quickly took everything out check the connections and such. Still nothing. So could my PC be fried? It was working perfectly before, minus the sound since I broke the speaker.

Not trying to be obvious but the PC doesn't work without the SD card inside. If you reinsert the SD card and it still doesn't work then you might have shorted the board somehow when you pushed the battery pack and board in (surprisingly common cause of damaged boards).

I'm certainly no expert, but I saw another thread in which a member possibly shorted his board by soldering the speaker wires through the holes in the output pads. Those who know about such things suggested that the speaker wires may have shorted against the SD card holder. I'm not saying that happened to you; just that if the SD card holder was damaged in some way, that could have something to do with the malfunction.

I've also seen it discussed that solder connections can short against the interior of the hilt. If it were me, I would go the extra mile and desolder everything as best as I can, then hook it all back up with fresh solder/wires. If that doesn't fix it, my guess would be that the board is damaged.

I'm still very new at this, so my best advice would be to check all of the available information about board hookups and damage, possibly message some of the more experienced members and discuss solutions, or contact whomever is responsible for board repair. I'd trust the people who made it over anyone else, including myself.

Could be Could be Could be. Try a new sd card then post good pics. And yes, solder the wires well enough so they wont short.

i taped side of the board that touches the hilt, so it shouldn't have short there.

I took the SD card out and nothing happened

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, there are several possibilities...

1. You need new batteries. This is easily tested, and I have done this a few times.

2. There is a lose or broken connection.

3. A bare wire shorted the board.

I am thinking the problem is 1 or 2, but I haven't seen your wiring so I am not sure. The best thing you can do is post up pics so we can see what you've got, and go from there.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I had a sd card fry on me, luckily I had a backup. Try a new sd card
    Sith Happens

I have an SD card in my mp3 player, ill try that see what happens.

sorry for the delay. I tried a new SD card, still didnt work. Here is a picture of the board.

It looks like the speaker output might of shorted. The wire you are using is Waaaayyy too big ant way too much insulation is gone from the wires where they meet the board. You can rip the pads off the board with that size wire. You should be using stranded 26 gauge max for that setup.