Thread: Soldering the Luxeon

Default Soldering the Luxeon

I don't about everyone else, or if my solder tip is way too burnt, but I find the Luxeon Rebel Stars incredibly difficult to solder. When first tried to solder one, I felt the heat sink too hot and worried I might have fried or at least damaged the led, so I (foolishly) attached the MHS heat sink, and then simply became impossible (as already pointed out in the new Engin tutorial) to solder.

I have a temperature regulated solder station, what do you think is the right temperature to solder this guys?
    What are the symptoms of a overheated Led? My first attempt was on a Red Rebel Led, and it took me too long to put it its wires. I didn't check it before, but I find it a little dim, at least compared with a blue one I'm trying now with alligators first. I know red leds are dimmer anyway, but don't know if that's why or I indeed damaged the led. I measured the voltage drop with a tester on the red led, and for 700mA it was 3.4v, and I think it should be 2.4, isn't it?

Thanks.

BTW I didn't know where to post this, if in here or the "Led hilt and wiring discussion", what is the difference between these two anyway? In both people seem to ask AND discuss XD equally. Heck, I even just saw a string led question in one of them. ¬¬

A couple tips when soldering:
    1. Use 60/40 solder, NOT the lead-free kind. The lead-free doesn't flow as nicely, or melt as quickly.
    2. Clean the tip of your iron often. A dirty iron does not transfer heat properly, and you'll end up cooking parts instead of soldering them.
    3. Be sure you tin the wires, and the LED pads (if they aren't already) before trying to connect them.
    4. You've learned this already, but don't put the LED on the heatsink first.

If the LED is still lighting up, you probably haven't burned it out yet. If it's bright enough that you see spots, then it's working properly. (*note* don't stare at LEDs without protection) Yes, the voltage drop should be around 2.4ish. I'm not sure why you're getting a higher value.

Red is always going to look dimmer than blue or green. It's a function of how our eyes work.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!