Thread: Lens and holder suitable for this CREE white

Question Lens and holder suitable for this CREE white

Hello people

Iīve just crushed this Lux III green due to an inadequate workspace and me being really clumsy:

So, looking around my parts bin, Iīve found an old broken flashlight reflector assembly that happens to have a working CREE white led that Iīd like to use:

The thing is, I donīt really know which lens and holder should I use for this one. Itīs pretty bright, so Iīd like to experiment with filter and see what happens!! Thanks in advance...

P.D: Pics are clickable for larger size viewing.

If you have any experience at surface mounting, you could desolder the CREE, mount it to the lux III star, and use a lux lens holder for it... thats my 2 cents anyhoo
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

The Cree LED should belong to the XR-E series; you could try and check some LED suppliers and look for the appropriate lens / lens holder.

Alternatively, I think you could try and reuse the lens you already have.

From the pictures, the dimensions of the lens domes of the two LEDs look similar.
    First thing I would try and fit the Lux lens over the Cree without the holder; if it goes on without having to push or anything, it should work just fine.

The holder may need to be slightly modified to fit over the Cree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ka'getsu View Post
    If you have any experience at surface mounting, you could desolder the CREE, mount it to the lux III star, and use a lux lens holder for it... thats my 2 cents anyhoo
    Havenīt thought of it, but that could do the trick for sure... However I must hone my soldering skills prior to trying that. But thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Se Wion
    The Cree LED should belong to the XR-E series; you could try and check some LED suppliers and look for the appropriate lens / lens holder.

Alternatively, I think you could try and reuse the lens you already have.

From the pictures, the dimensions of the lens domes of the two LEDs look similar.
    First thing I would try and fit the Lux lens over the Cree without the holder; if it goes on without having to push or anything, it should work just fine.

The holder may need to be slightly modified to fit over the Cree.
    Yes, the domes look similar, although the CREE may be a little taller than the LUX, I havenīt had the time to make any measurements yet. Thanks a lot for your advice

Havenīt thought of it, but that could do the trick for sure... However I must hone my soldering skills prior to trying that. But thanks!

Yeah... Surface mounting components to a pcb can be an adventure if you're not used to it.
    Last edited by Ka'getsu; 01-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english