Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Idea for saber crystals!!

Lightbulb Idea for saber crystals!!

I just came up with an idea for saber crystals. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it on here in the past, but has anyone thought to grow their own crystals?? I remember I did it for a project in the 3rd grade a looooong time ago, so I'm familiar with the time and process but I'm just now exploring the diverse ways to grow them and which kind you can grow. I just wanted to bring this subject up to know if anyone has thought of it. I plan to do this for my saber builds, if I can find a type to grow that won't break easily.

It's similar to 'why not melt my own aluminum for tubes'. Most people will tell you 'why? Ebay/TCSS/Google it'.

It takes quite some time/material to make a good looking crystal too, and with the ridiculous choices out there, i don't think many will bother.

Do show us your setup and results though!!!
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

No doubt! I'm growing some alum crystals tomorrow, so hopefully my outcome will be presentable.

Homemade crystals do not stand up to the elements well and could make a mess inside a hilt as they disintegrate.

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between a million years of heat and pressure, and a few days with a saturated solution
    Definitely not an idea without merit though.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Yeah true, but I was thinkingof this option because it will take me a while to get my build requirements and internals so I might as well plan out my crystal chamber. I dont like the crystals in the saber store that much, and i cant find the right crystals im looking for. I want something with a bit more realistic and "labored" look and feel. What better way to kill some time with experimenting?
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

If you're looking to get crystals for a saber, many people go to a popular online auction site
    Otherwise I would recommend searching for a new age / crystal store nearby.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Wait a minute, I'm not sure this lacks of interest if I can grow a huge diamond

Lol well if you get the solution to growing an alum crystal, that's as close as you can get quickly. XD
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

Aluminum oxide crystals have been manufactured for over a century using the Verneuil Process. Make your own rubies and sapphires!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verneuil_process

Granted, it's cheaper to buy a few synthetic stones than it is to make your own, unless you're planning on making a LOT of them.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!