Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davin

Default Davin

I built this saber at the request of a friend of mine for her husband (Mr. Davin). His cubicle(s) at the office are filled with GI Joe action figures and model tanks, and he is really peeved he doesn’t have a Lego Star Destroyer over his desk (point for me)… Her theory is that a lightsaber will probably cause him to jump out of his skin. She wanted something “chunky” and "a little old school,” it had to have a green blade, and we agreed it had to have a Petit Crouton. I have to admit I have no idea what "old school" means in this context, so I lied and said I understood what she meant figuring we'd arrive at that meaning as the design progessed. A few traded sketches led us here. She was very excited when she picked it up, and I hope to get an update on his reaction next week.

This is my first PC build and my second shroud, and the few wiring glitches I had were easily corrected once I stopped using colorful metaphors and got a clear head. In all things, a calm heart must prevail!

The specs:

Green rebel star, latching AV switch (wired to light when the kill key is pulled), and a blinky accent led in the pommel
    Petit Crouton v1.5 with the Lightmeat font running off a 7.4v Li-Ion pack; SD card accessed by removing the pommel
    Reverse sound
    Brilliant Brass and Black Chrome powder coating with custom grooves by TCSS
    Shroud from MHS Sleeve material by me with a painted/baked flat finish (thanks to Azmaria Dei for the tutorial)
    Brass greeblie over the blade holder window (the one piece I’m ambivalent about) and a modified TCSS blade plug

The glams (there are more build pics in the folder):

The video:
    http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/a...=D-M-video.mp4

Thanks for looking, and I greatly appreciate any comments or criticisms!

I'm really impressed! That paint job you did on the shroud looks fantastic with the color choices on the rest of the hilt. I like the access to the PC in the back. My only critique is that it look a bit front-heavy, but all in all a very strong saber.

Nice saber. It has some style. I am curious to know where the greeblie over the emitter came from.

I wanted the window , to show off more of the blade. Bunny ears didn't look right, so I turned them and ran a brass sleeve over a section of threaded rod between them. It just looked unfinished, so I added those fins to try and tie to the grips at the back. I'm still not happy with it - seems like an afterthought. Maybe wrapping the brass sleeve with thick copper wire and snaking it through the window to make it look like part of a radiator? Any suggestions? I can always swap the part out...

i think it looks cool. well done. the grips seem a bit off, but other than that solid.

beautiful lookin saber. love the shroud. Was thinking of a white shroud on 1 of mine as well. It does look a little top heavy. Well constructed though. Wonder what it would look like with the rubber grips mounted on the inside poking out.

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Nice. Different and unique. =]

I love this saber!! I like the white. I'm making a PVC as I type that has white and not silver like i normaly do. I love this look as well as the grips. Great JOB!!

Looks great, like many other commentors I really like the white on the shroud, it looks really good.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Wonder what it would look like with the rubber grips mounted on the inside poking out.
    I believe it would look even more top heavy. Blech. I'm working on a saber that uses those inset grips, though and to me they seem too streamlined for this saber. Plus, you have to account for how you're going to hold them in place in a 3" DF... but a solution would have presented itself eventually. Stick a battery in the choke, maybe... But have to resolve the top heavy issue first.

Thanks for all the feedback!