Thread: EL wire in hilt

Default EL wire in hilt

I have a Petit Crouton Sound Module v1.6 and I am putting EL wire in the hilt. I would like to know if anyone has a any help on how to run my power, because I'm lost.

Have you looked in the EL section here? The EL part will be totally separate from the PC.

This seems as if it could be interesting.. Sounds cool!

You'll need an inverter to power the EL (the ones we used to use for sabers took 9v batteries and buzzed alittle bit.. hehe the way back days lolz).. I dont think Tim/tcss sells them anymore (for awhile) but you could shoot him an email about sourcing it (use the "Contact" on the store front page DO NOT pm him).

Also check out places like youtube and just general costume spots like RPF... (I know the Iron Man/Halo hard core costume kids use alot of EL sheet/wire these days).. find out what they use, where they get it.. and if (what they are using) will fit into a saber...

The old inverters were about 1" x 1" but also took a 9v battery which took tons of space compared to todays "cram-fu" standards (remember we didnt have soundboards in those days so the space was free... now ehhhh... your going to have some space issues)... So it wont be easy (but when is easy rewarding?)..

And I say:

Do it! Chase your vision and build it!! If you cant do it (who cares) just keep thinking and searching.. and sharing.. maybe someone else will pick it up and you guys can work together.. who knows...

Good Luck on your search, Keep us posted on the results!! This seems cool! (maybe impossible with todays "under 13inch /1.25 interior", power windows/heated seats.. soundboard + FoC, bass speaker, dual 18650 type uber "cram-fu" standards).. but something to think about and still cool to try!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Well, I have built a few hilts with EL wire incorporated into the hilt.
    You can look for Tiberius and probably one of the padawan sink tubes I made in the gallery section.

It all comes down to how you plan on powering your saber (as well as what LED you plan on using).
    If all you need is a 3.7V (single Li-Ion) you might be able to get away with a really small inverter.
    Or if you're going for the alkaline route, you could wire up a 4AA or 4AAA battery holder such that the PCU gets 4.5V and you reserve 1.5V for the inverter (like I did in the aforementioned builds).

And yes, as was mentioned before, the EL circuit will be a totally separate circuit from the soundboard.
    LOCKHEED

So why does the EL circuit have to be totally separate from the soundboard? If I have a low-voltage inverter (1.5 volt), powering a short section of wire (under 1.5 foot), why couldn't I power the inverter and EL wire off of the accent light pads on a Petit Crouton?

(I hope this isn't too much of a necro-post, but it was too relevant to my current build to ignore)
    Last edited by TuxedoCartman; 03-30-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Total english fail