Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound problem on 2011 Ultimate FX sound card

Default Sound problem on 2011 Ultimate FX sound card

I just finished putting together my saber last night. I'm using the new 2011 Ultimate FX soundcard. Everything was working great before installing the guts - startup, hum, clash, swing, shutdown... everything. I then installed the guts and fired it up. Still everything worked great. Then, I thought I'd test the charge port using my Tenergy Li-Ion Smart Charger. As soon as I plugged it in, I heard a loud "beep", so I unplugged it. I plugged it back in, another beep. Pull it out, plug it in again, then beeps and turns my blade LED on very dimly. Pull it back out. This went on for a minute or so, then I decided to stop. Then when I turned my saber on, I got startup, hum and shutdown sounds, but no swing or clash. The battery was charged most of the way before all this. Now when I plug in the charger, I get no beep and nothing acts up. No matter what I do I can't get the swing or clash sounds to work anymore. Anybody have any ideas as to what went wrong? I'm including the wiring diagram I used. I'm pretty sure it's right based on everything I've read. PLZ HELP!!!

2011 Ultimate FX Wiring Layout.jpg

Here's a pic of my card all wired up:
    Mounted Swing Sensors.jpg

I have heard those are pretty easy to blow up. Chargers can put out a pretty good voltage spike that can blow up cheap electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I have heard those are pretty easy to blow up. Chargers can put out a pretty good voltage spike that can blow up cheap electronics.
    The way I have the charge port wired, it's supposed to cut power to the soundboard as soon as I plug the charger in though, right?

The only way to be sure is for you to check it with an ohm meter.

Ok, update... now when my saber is on and i just barely plug in the charger (just so it makes contact) the clash and swings sounds alternate. If I plug it all the way in, then it shuts the saber down. What the $%&#!@ is going on? I need some guidance... please!

I'm way too tired to figure it out but from your pic you are missing something... Urgh i can't find my wiring pic but i had mine setup with a recharge port and it ended up different than yours (mine works great).

I might be wrong though, check your recharge port for any damage and bad soldering.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    I'm way too tired to figure it out but from your pic you are missing something... Urgh i can't find my wiring pic but i had mine setup with a recharge port and it ended up different than yours (mine works great).

I might be wrong though, check your recharge port for any damage and bad soldering.
    Well, recharge port still has continuity everywhere and no sign of damage. All soldering is fine. Checked as much of the board as I could for continuity as well and everything seems to be fine. Everything worked fine before I plugged in the charger.

Here's the thread to the diagram I used along with the video and comments from Rhyen Skytracker: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...rison.../page3 I used that in combination with the wiring diagrams from the 2010 Obi-wan econo board that are proven - the version a charge port and no 5V regulator. Also, there's no PNP used, so I just wired the LED directly from the board.

Also, the recharge port thread here confirmed I had that wired up right, as far as I can tell. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...wiring+diagram I wired it up for the kill switch. Please let me know if something's not right. I need my swing and clash sounds back!!!
    Last edited by jvidamins; 12-16-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Have you tested everything w/o the recharge port? Try that if you haven't (board or recharge port might be faulty).
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Have you tested everything w/o the recharge port? Try that if you haven't (board or recharge port might be faulty).
    Everything's the same even without the charge port. Also, just tried swapping out a swing sensor... still no swing or clash sounds.

Upon looking at everything very closely (about 100 times) and checking the same wiring configuration on a 2010 Obi-wan econo board I have for my other saber I'm building with no problems, even when plugged in to charge, the only thing I found was one of my swing sensors leads WAS touching the hilt. I had hot glued it, but it so tight of a fit that it must have rubbed off when I was sliding it in. (I mounted my board on top of my 18650 single cell. Do you think that could have cause the board to fry upon charging it through the charge port? Another possibility is that my LED leads were ever so slightly touching the edge of the star, which was mounted to the heatsink, which had definite contact with the hilt. I'm no expert when it comes to electronics and shorts and such, so I'm not sure if those things would be enough to explain what happened. Something did fry somewhere though, as my swing and clash are completely gone (except when I insert the charge port ever so slightly while the saber is on, upon which they just continuously sound off with no movement whatsoever). Any thoughts? Anyone...