Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finishing service

Yes that is why it stays on your car like it does. I know everybody gets rock chips but I don't think your finger nails will impact like a pebble a t 60 - 70 MPH. Your car gets hit by way more than the amount of chips it actually gets. I m not saying it's indestructable but used in conjunction with other decorations you'll be suprised. Maybe I should start selling various painted blanks.LOL

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I have toyed with the idea of getting setup to do anodizing. It would be logical to add the service but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Blog Entries

I have had four aluminum hilts powder coated. The finish is matt not glossy. The powder coat is very tough, chip, scratch, and corrosion resistant (may depend on formulation and brand). In my opinion the matt finish is more in line with the intent of the hilts as utilitarian instruments of battle - unless you like Bling like Mace Windu or you're a Sith. Looks like investement in powder coating could be around $150 if you already have an air compressor (price includes purchase of a cheap toaster oven)

Link below gives a review on powder coating starter kit
    http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/powder.html

One of my powder coated lightsabers has been to Burning Man twice and the finish is still good as new.

Edit: I just found high gloss powder coats too.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade." http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

The Eastwood company sells a powder coat system not requiring a air compressor but you'll need an oven your not cooking food in.

I wonder if those mini electrical ovens would work, you know those that can barely fit an open sandwich

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You mean a toaster oven?

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Yup, toaster oven. Would those work?

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If size isn't a factor probably. The one I have goes up to 450 degrees. That's equal to our normal oven if the "self-clean" function is taken away.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

harbor freight has a oven..dont remember the cost. I prefer anodizing over powder coating though.

I think I will get setup for anodizing as soon as I get around to it. What I will probably do is process all anodizing on a certain day each week to reduce wasted time. I will let you all know as soon as I get setup for it.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I would love to see some anodizing services. I'm working out the plans for a black chrome saber, obviously Sith-styled, and this would be just the thing for those plans.

What is life but the passage to death?