Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's chrome Saber 37 (CS-37)

Default Jay-gon Jinn's chrome Saber 37 (CS-37)

I built this saber using the leftover parts from Jedi Exile's original CS-31 build, and have been working on it off and on in between other sabers for a friend of mine in the Rebel Legion, that also owns BS-10 and the Qui-gon Jinn replica hilt that I converted a year or so ago. This is pretty straight-forward as far as the build goes, so no real pictures of the process were really taken. This one runs a Master Replicas Sith FX sound board, modified with light hound keychain flashlight pcb for use with the Orange ring momentary AV switch, a blinking green 3mm led to indicate battery power is active, a second yellow accent led on the side to indicate the saber is on. Main blade led is a Luxeon bin 4 Amber. Without further ado, here is

Chrome Saber 37 (CS-37)

YouTube Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_Joevdyiw

Now, power for this was originally supplied by 4-AAA batteries in a standard holder with a speaker mount v2. I knew it probably wouldn't work out like my friend hoped, but it was what he wanted since AAA's are fairly cheap, and he knew he'd use a lot of them but was okay with that. Well, after trooping with it at a hockey team's Star Wars night on the 3rd of December, he realized that saving money by not going with a better quality battery source wasn't worth it. The AAA's only lasted about 20 minutes with all of the current being pulled out of them by the Luxeon III, the crystal led, the switch, and the two 3mm accent led's. So, I took it home with me from there and immediately took it apart and began replacing parts:

Okay so, round two:

I changed the orange crystal out for a pale yellow one, and with the ultrabright yellow led that is now lighting it up, it matches the blade color almost exactly, and not only that, it actually lights up enough to see it's lit.

The 4-AAA battery pack is no more, replaced by a single LG 18650 Li-Ion with a protection PCB, as is the original Kobitone 1watt, 8ohm speaker. It now sports a mega bass instead:

Not only does it now look better with the fully lit crystal chamber, this baby is LOUD. I think my buddy Scott will be happy with it, even though the blade color is still a little on the orange side.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 12-09-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Like all of your sabers, freaking awesome!!!

Hey that looks like sink tube instead of the aluminum sleeve material. Thin and a very slight gap opposite the thumb screw on the back... How'd you get it so chromy shiny? I love it!

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Amazing work as always, Jay, you continue to inspire me. That amber looks amazing, but am I crazy, or is there no covertec?

Side note: If I ever imitate another smiths work, it will be yours. I just love all your sabers.

Man, it's decided. The more I look at your sabers the more I want to add sink tubing to all of my hilts. Next build will be using some sink tube work. Just gotta practice! Thank again for the inspiration.

Looks really good. I like the crystal chamber and love the color of it!
    Yub Yub Commander.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Nice piece, Wade. I like the reflected curves in the shrouds, the carry through of the black between hilt and emitter, and, of course, the yellow blade.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Quote Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
    Like all of your sabers, freaking awesome!!!

Hey that looks like sink tube instead of the aluminum sleeve material. Thin and a very slight gap opposite the thumb screw on the back... How'd you get it so chromy shiny? I love it!
    It is sink tube. The gap opposite the thumbscrew? Not sure what you mean...maybe the exposed section of choke? I wet sanded and polished the MHS parts before assembly and the finish is near chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Amazing work as always, Jay, you continue to inspire me. That amber looks amazing, but am I crazy, or is there no covertec?

Side note: If I ever imitate another smiths work, it will be yours. I just love all your sabers.
    Covertec is on the right hand side, out of view of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Boj-Vaati Mau View Post
    Nice piece, Wade. I like the reflected curves in the shrouds, the carry through of the black between hilt and emitter, and, of course, the yellow blade.
    WADE?!?!? I'm not Wade.....Wade didn't build this...I did.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yeah, he's not WADE-Gon-Jinn, lol.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Gon Gin
    It is sink tube. The gap opposite the thumbscrew? Not sure what you mean...maybe the exposed section of choke? I wet sanded and polished the MHS parts before assembly and the finish is near chrome.
    The gap is negligible... I have a slight gap on mine and I used the sink tube as well. The inner diameter of the sink tube is ever so slightly larger than the outer diameter of the MHS parts...

Anyway, my original question was more like: The sink tubes are brass, with a chrome coating. Did you remove the chroming? If not, how did you keep it from chipping? if you did remove the chroming, how did you get it back on? I am so impressed that I am just dying to know what you did to maintain the chrome look. I made my first saber with a sink tube shroud and the sink tube's chrome chipped around the edges and was very obviously brass and not chrome... So, I am like a student with a master... Teach me master Gin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...