Thread: Epoxy

Default Epoxy

When I tried to build my basic hardware saber, I tried using epoxy but when I tried it, it never cured it turned to a gummy mess that even at it's most stickiest it was about as useful as elmer's glue. Any suggestions or advise on what to do?

first off, what brand of epoxy were you using, what were you trying to bind together, how thin/thick were you laying it on, and how long did you let it set up?
    it's been my experience as a fellow north westerner to let any kind of epoxy cure for about 36 hours at a time and laying it on in thin strips so as to give it as
    much surface area as possible, that way it sets properly more often than not.

also were you using 1 or two part epoxy, i personally find it a little more difficult to use the 2 part solutions, but it gives you much better results

I hope that helps

-k-
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

in addition to what Ka'getsu said above, I'll add that you really have to mix some epoxies really well, or what happened to you can happen. make sure to scrape all of the amount you have dispensed completely into a little puddle, and repeat that so that there's no part of the mix that hasn't been agitated several times during mixing. were you using the epoxy as a covering material, or to bond two objects? if you apply it as a coating, with a lot of epoxy, you can end up with that sticky, uncured mess that even when 'cured', is tacky (the top sticky layer is called 'blush') hasn't actually solidified. I use 5 minute epoxy when joining two disparate substances, or i use gorilla glue or super glue.
    there are different formulations of epoxy, some better for metals, or some better for plastics.

Thank you for expounding upon that Lady Sinis... I knew there was something i was forgetting.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english