Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Odd MR soundboard quirk

Default Odd MR soundboard quirk

I noticed my new saber that uses the '05 Luke ROTJ soundcard has an odd quirk...it makes the LED have a slight flicker. Not as noticable as, say, Corbin's driver, but there nonetheless.

It seems to correspond with what the soundcard is doing at the time. Here's what I've noticed thus far:

Initial Power-up sound = maximum LED brightness
    Idle = somewhat dimmer, but still flickering
    Clash/Swing = Same brightness as power-up upon impact or movement, then back to idle.

Anybody else running a Luke '05 notice this? Maybe it's a by-product of low batteries [?]

-------------------------

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some idea-balls to remove from a manitee tank."

Council Member
    Sith Lord

wow, like a stock fx or a mhs with the soundcard

<center>

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.
    </center>

Could be low batteries as I have not seen this effect before.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Lord Maul-

It's a card taken from a Luke ROTJ that I incorporated into a spiffed-up sink tube saber running a green star/o LED (my latest one under Gallery/Custom Sabers).

What's funny is my 5-watt MHS that Ultra gave me does the same thing, but I think that's because he used a momentary switch instead of a on/off switch. You don't even have to shake the hilt, if you set it on a table it'll flicker all by itself. Either way, this is really making me wanna get one of Corbin's boards now for my next saber [8D]

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some idea-balls to remove from a manitee tank."

Council Member
    Sith Lord

if it flickers by itself there is no more need for a corbin board Mi Gin Gonn

<center>

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.
    </center>

it's actually pretty subtle (although noticable), but probably nowhere near what corbin's clash 'n lock effect does. i can't say for sure because i've never tried one of corbin's drivers.

i think my next move is gonna be to rip that momentary switch out and replace it with an on/off switch.

If it flickers by itself then there is an issue somewhere. Whatever you do don't listen to Maul on this one dude, as you know Corbin's stuff is designed to quickly raise and lower the voltage. If your batteries are getting old that could be the most likely problem but if it does it with fresh batteries you may want to check connections and replacing the switch is probally a good idea. I would not see a big deal if the LED was pulling current trying to suck a battery dry but if you put the fresh stuff in there and it continues you may overdrive the LED.

<center></center>

i'm definitely gonna replace the switch on my 5-watt MHS, but the other saber with the soundcard is using a Luke ROTJ switchbox, which i really don't wanna lose. there aren't any loose connections, everything was soldered solidly and had heatshrink put over the connections. the only other thing i can think of is a wire going to the star/o may be slightly touching the blade holder (if it touches too much, as you know, the LED will just blink over & over again and make part of the power-up sound repeatedly).

either way, it's not really bothering me. i think it's actually kinda cool.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mi Gin Gonn

What's funny is my 5-watt MHS that Ultra gave me does the same thing<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's not a momentary, but you are correct in that it's a switch problem. Email me your address and I'll send you one of the new switches I use which should solve the problem.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, the momentaries are pretty flaky. I think I need to replace the one in my MHS. It randomly turns off when you spin, and when you get extreme vibrations.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>