Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wokring on my first build Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Plexus View Post

After looking, I've also noticed that the piece I believe Im looking for is a sink tube?
    Anyway here's a pict of somewhat what I mean..

Attachment 6218
    What you're building looks pretty close to the hilt I built over the summer, http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...mh-Solais-quot . The best thing for the shroud, in my opinion at least, is the sleeve material that you can buy on the site. It come a little more 'raw' looking than the mhs parts, but with some carful wet-sanding it turns out looking pretty darn close to the rest. It was also fairly easy to work with, I used my dad's Dremel tool to cut and shape it, and had no trouble even though I had never used that type of power tool before. I however haven't gotten to adding electronics yet, so I can't help much there. Best of luck to you though, and have fun with it!
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Thanks! I kind of changed my design because my hilt does look very similar to yours and I don't wanna seem like a copy cat. But Im Coming alone pretty nicely, and i will upload some pictures tomorrow. I guess I'll just worry about the overall hilt first, then the crystal chamber. I know that people say it will take a looong time to make this, but Im coming alone pretty fine so far. I just need to predetermine my tools needed, and how I will fit everything inside of the lightsaber once the electronic phase begins. I wanna plan the sounds out over this weekend possibly..

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If you're dead set on a crystal chamber, I would have Tim mill out a section of the ribbed piece. You should be able to fit any and all electronics in the rear grip, and you can put the switch in front of the chamber. It would be a modestly sized chamber. I've built a few hilts very similar to this over the years, and there has been room if I chose to put one, but I didn't feel it 'fit' the design.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I might wait until my 2nd saber because a crystal isn't necessary but I do want to make a menacing-looking saber. Sleek, but maybe a little rough. With a ribbed extension within the sink tube.
    I hate not knowing where to start, but at least I have a general idea of how I want the saber to look. I make small modifications throughout the days, until I can find something perfect for me.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Are you planning on using a recharge pack or just a plain battery pack? If you want to put a crystal chamber then I would suggest using the chassis parts sold in the shop to make a sled or make one using 1.25 in pvc. Either way measure everything out and triple check it. Where your emmitter and heat sink is going to be then the chamber, then the soundboard, and then the battery/ recharge pack. keep in mind where any accent LEDs or recharge ports are going to go on the main body and measure them out and make sure they are going to match up on your chassis sled. Take your time and experiment a little untill you find the right layout that suits you personally. here are some pics of a custom sliding tray that I made for the battery and soundboard for my build. This way all I have to do is unscrew it and slide it out to change batteries and the activation switch keeps it in line and from sliding too far. I made it using PVC and a hot glue gun. The speaker is mounted on the end and nothing gets twisted, pulled or stressed when changing anything out.Here's a pic of my finished prototype that I getting ready to build the finished, finalized saber, The Darth Se'Ri'Al. Hope this helps.
    PICT0002 (2).jpgPICT0005 (2).jpgPICT0007 (2).jpgnew saber pics 017.jpgnew saber pics 003.jpg
    "I Find your apparent lack of faith displeasing"

I really really love the design so far... and the planning is the MOST crucial part.

When designing the exterior ALWAYS keep your finished product in mind (dont see parts how they are.. see them how you want them to be... there's POWAH in positive thinking).. Be ever mindful of the interior layout with regard to things such as switch placement.. heatsink.. accent led's or what not AND how will these things be secured (the TRUE test of a saber is in battle my friend.. NOT on the stand.. so lets plan for it!)

When designing a "crystal reveal" saber you should really start dead center with the crystal chamber section (and reveal menchanism/method) section... figure out "How am I going to reveal and display it?" (without twisting, breaking/stressing your connections)

and

"Do I really have room for that?" <- is the ancient skill is known as Cram fu... is NOT to be overlooked.. NEVER assume it will fit.. measurements and tolarances are the key.. remember the soundboard has wires.. wire take space.. the speaker has a mount... this takes more space.. switches have bodies... batteries are much bigger then pictured lol.. boards need to breath to run at full efficiency.. heatsinks get HOT!!!.. all that with power windows, heated seats and the kitchen sink/Crystal chamber section... yeah (blah blah.. you get it)

"Do I think you can do it??" (absolutely, IF you plan accordingly)

"Do I think it's going to be easy??" (absolutely not.. but I ask "when is easy very rewarding?")

I see great things coming from this build and will watch (or offer any assistance I possibly can).. Sabers these days are nice (really really nice) BUT nothing compares to the first time you fire up a saber that you designed (on paper) and hand built..

Its not easy.. and the learning curve is steep IF you dont study and prepare.. BUT I say again.. "When is easy very rewarding?"

Welcome to the REAL side (where we build our own like the TRUE jedi/sith)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

My progress blueprint wise is coming along pretty well. Is there a thread about making a crystal chassis? I've been looking but Im not sure if Im using the correct keywords. Im using a two-crystal layout and I've also came to the conclusion that I want it to house a removeable blade.

Pictures coming soon. Very.

Okay now here's the part where I correct myself. Sorry. I did find a post about creating a chassis, but I understand that its very hilt-specific.
    I suck at drawing and the MHS doesn't give too much of a good reference. Im trying to find an inspiration to make a good hilt. I need it to be smooth, but also very starkiller, or vader-esque. I want to figure out the electronics, but I cannot. Not until I have a solid, final hilt.

Okay, Here are the final designs I have come up with. I only got four hours of sleep because I want to understand this as much as possible. So here they go.

The bottom most design will be my first saber.
    The one above that, will be my second saber, symbolizing my (hopeful) transition from Apprentice to Dark Lord.
    The unfinished saber with only two chokes and one adapter will be my last and craziest: A double-bladed.

sfsfsfsfs.jpg

Im not sure if I will be able to place a crystal Chassis in each, but I would like to. Im not worried about the staff yet. Im focused on the first two, and more so, the very first.
    Im still having trouble figuring out how to wire it all. LED, Removable blades, and once again, a possible crystal chamber that can be shown by extending the hilt.

How would I go about installing a crystal chassis into the bottom most hilt? Im thinking of parts and ways to fit it in in a way that the upper half of the hilt can be extended to reveal the chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darth_Plexus; 12-12-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Default Can someone help me?

I've been asking around for tips and pointers on my hilt designs and electronics, internals, and crystal chassis. If I can sum it up, I have a thread titled "Working on my first build". I've been working on these hilts literally for hours, trying to make sense of all of this. Heres my latest design bunch.

Okay, Here are the final designs I have come up with. I only got four hours of sleep because I want to understand this as much as possible. So here they go.

The bottom most design will be my first saber.
    The one above that, will be my second saber, symbolizing my (hopeful) transition from Apprentice to Dark Lord.
    The unfinished saber with only two chokes and one adapter will be my last and craziest: A double-bladed.

Three sabers.jpg

Im not sure if I will be able to place a crystal Chassis in each, but I would like to. Im not worried about the staff yet. Im focused on the first two, and more so, the very first.
    Im still having trouble figuring out how to wire it all. LED, Removable blades, and once again, a possible crystal chamber that can be shown by extending the hilt.

Any tips/pointers are welcome..