Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: LEDengin 5w and 10W info and wiring guide....for noobs

hey Fender, I had a quick question for you, I havent been able to get a hold of Erv, I have a petit Crouton 1.6 and since the 2.0 version got released I cant find the manual for the 1.6 anywhere. Anyways wanted to see if this is correct: Im using the PC 1.6 with a ledengin 10 watt BBBB I was planning on
    wiring the mains in parellel and then wiring the two Foc dies in series with a 2 watt 1 ohm resistor on the pex board, Im using a pair of AW 17550 batteries in series for a 7.4 v pack. does that sound like it will work ok? Also where do I get im FOC input from the 1.6 board? Any chance you have a pic of the pad I need to use?

Thanks, Shayne

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Everything sounds like you've got it right. If you flip the board over, you'll see a row of 5 little holes. You put a little dab of solder on that hole closest to the emitter PetitCrouton-1.6-FoC.jpg and wire that to the pex. Hope that helps.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Everything sounds like you've got it right. If you flip the board over, you'll see a row of 5 little holes. You put a little dab of solder on that hole closest to the emitter PetitCrouton-1.6-FoC.jpg and wire that to the pex. Hope that helps.
    Thanks Fender! exactly what I needed to know

Allrighty! So, now for a newbie question that I haven't seen yet. But hopefully, one that will be more basic.

I'm looking to do a purple stunt saber. No sound, no FOC or anything fancy. Just a nice bright blade. So I picked up a RGBW LEDengin and a buckpuck.

However, I got to thinking. Red LEDs are usually run by 700ma buckpucks, while blues can be run with a 1A buckpuck. I currently have a 7.4V, 18650 Li-ion battery (2600mAh) to use. So here's the question:

Running just the red and the blue LEDs, would I be able to easily run this in series, as the example on page 1 gives? (And would I have to get the 700ma buckpuck to do so?) or would I be able to use the 1000ma puck, run the LEDs in parallel, and I assume put a resistor on the red line (though I do not know how much).

As always, everyone's help is extraordinarily appreciated and thank you for all of the help you've already given!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

LEDengin dice can be run at 1000ma+ each. Which means, the red can be run at 1000ma and the blue can be run at 1000ma for a total of 2A if you're running them in parallel. Obviously, you're going to resistor the red down to mix for purple. Series, you'd want to use either the 1000ma Puck or the TCSS driver which goes up to 1500. You can run a LEDengin at 1500 pretty well in series. It gets warm, eats batteries like a fat chick on funnel cakes at the fair, but it'll work.

For resistors, get your self a 2watt capable potentiometer and dial in your desired color. I think though, that you'll find you'll need something in the range of a 2W 3.3ohm - 3.9ohm to get the color you're after

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Sweet! Thanks! I'm thinking I don't need to resistor because the colors together make a really gorgeous magenta (going more for Mara Jade than Mace Windu). Very glad to hear that the 1000ma won't fry the red dice. I think I'll stick with the 1000ma puck because I have it and have used it before, so it's in my comfort zone.

So that being the case, I'll just run it in series.

Gracias!

So now I'm venturing into 10watt LED's. I decided I wanted one in my own saber. I've been contemplating this for some time. So I decided on a 10watt Blue (single color), that will run off 7.4v with a 1000mA buckpuck, Obsidian board for sound.
    As I'm looking at the tut at the begining ^, I somehow got it in mind that for a single color I would want to wire each die (dice) in series to get the full brightness. Correct?
    Second when I'm done, I will have 4 strings from my LED to my buckpuck? Which doesn't seem right to me.
    Seems like I should be able to "jumper" the pads and have only to strings coming from the LED. I did see some of Jay-gon's work in a pic on this thread, I'm going to be checking this out more but some advance opinions (knowlege) would be welcome
    Somewhat confusing but....

Putting all for dice in series will require a 14 volt battery source. You'd be better off putting them in two paralleled series pairs instead, sometimes referred to as "seriallel."

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Putting all for dice in series will require a 14 volt battery source. You'd be better off putting them in two paralleled series pairs instead, sometimes referred to as "seriallel."
    Ah ha! So exactly the way you did yours in the picture previously in the thread?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yes, my picture in the OP is of a 10W Red in "seriallel", two series pairs. Much easier to run this way.

GET LATHED!