Thread: Magni - Custom PC 1.6 saber with FoC

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Magni - Custom PC 1.6 saber with FoC

Hello Saberland!

This saber was an unfinished saber for a customer that had given us free reign on design (we love that ), but couldn't complete the transaction after the build had almost come to completion and asked to be placed at the end of the "line". Then Halloween came around and I had thought to add a few things to it, put in the new PC with FoC™ and use it for my costume. Well, for the first time in 15 years, I was unable to dress up with the kids on Halloween . So this saber sat finished and now I'm getting round to putting it up. Lately, with designs that I do for myself, or when I get to 'play' in the shop, I tend to go for a more utilitarian look with some defining features that help it stand out. I wanted this one to look like a 'sword', or sword like weapon and less like a technological marvel. For this, you can't go wrong with a leather wrapped grip This is a saber that I actually started from the pommel and worked my way up to the emitter, not drawing it out first like I normally do, I just wrought it from the metal as I went along. The pommel was something that I made to really give it the sword feel and used it to frame the lower grip which is spiraled black lambskin leather. The mid-section houses the switches, the recharge port and two modest accent LEDs ( gotta have SOME SW references in there ). You'll notice something about this right away in that it is missing a Vader's Vault signature item: a recessed lighted anti-vandal switch. Yep, after almost 3 years of putting them in sabers I wanted to do something different. I wanted less flash on this saber and more subtlety. I used two tactile switches mounted in the chassis/sled and topped with machined brass plungers. They are very low profile, work excellently and are extremely comfortable. The rear grip unscrews from the mid-section to give easy access to the PC for soundfont swapping.

We also got in some of the new 2W speakers that JQ sourced and used it on this saber. The new speaker, while not much louder than the previously used Regals, delivers a much more robust low end and feels better in hand. Sealing these speakers is definitely the key. The emitter to this saber came to me at the last minute when I was trying to get it ready for Halloween.

I had been scouring the SWTOR concept art for another project and and liked a lot of their use of fin like appendages on the emitters of some of the sabers they drew. I got a quick bout of inspiration and made some emitter fins for this saber, but made them asymmetrical because it goes against my normal grain of design and I liked the final result.

The weathering on this saber came about, because it didn't look right clean or polished and I felt that a used look would suit it better, and give it character. I didn't want to go with the "beat" or "ancient" look, but something that is cared for but definitely "broken in".

This saber also features the new PC 1.6 with 'true' Flash on Clash™ that we were testing before Halloween. It is igniting a 10W LEDengin RGGB with the GG for the main blade and the RB for the FoC™. The FoC on the new PC, like it's bigger brother the CF, is very dynamic and organic looking. I love it and it definitely tops off a really full featured soundboard.

Quick Specs:

Custom machined hilt
    Lambskin leather grip wrap
    Lower grip unscrews for SD card access
    Low profile brass custom switches
    2 accent LEDs
    PC 1.6 with Flash on Clash™
    10W LEDengin RGGB set for green with purple/white flash
    2W speaker

Pics:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3jqe_a2r8

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Simple but efficient design. I find it well balanced and utilitarian enough. IMO, you've made the good choice avoiding an AV Illuminated switch.
    I love it

YAY! No AV! They're way over done IMO. The switch and accent LED placements have me a bit confused as to how they'd sit in your hand. I kind of like that though. Different.

wow, nice work! I really like it. The emitter is just great, it breaks up the whole straight design of the hilt and gives it something special!

Awesome job Fender - I LOVE this hilt. Simple, straight forward design, but very well executed!
    Very nice!
    Last edited by Knighthammer; 11-15-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Code:
    candy (ˈkændɪ) 
    —n , pl -dies
    1.  	chiefly (US), (Canadian) confectionery in general; sweets, chocolate, etc
    2.  	a person or thing that is regarded as being attractive but superficial: arm candy
    ___3. Fender Bender lightsabers.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Love this design. Especially love the weathering. I always preferred less flashy sabers, so this ranks among my favorite designs by you guys.

Are the fins actually part of the emitter or were they mounted externally?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks! The emitter fins are screwed down with one 4-40 socket cap screw each fin. They sit in a milled slot so there is no side to side movement to put stress on the screws.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Maaan, you are the M.J. of saber land in my eyes. Jordan or Jackson, you can take your pic. Heck I should say Tyson the way you keep knocking them out!! Another FANTASTIC saber bro! I am a fan!