Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your Battery Preference with a PC or CF

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    98% of my builds use 14500s. If I can fit more battery into a hilt, than I will, but more often than not the design/customer requires a smaller hilt/cramped install yadda yadda......
    Gotcha!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

One more question FenderBender, would the 14500s have enough of a discharge rate for an illuminated switch along with the FoC?

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Most newer 14500s have a 2A discharge rate. This will handle the board which takes about 300ma, the switch at 50ma, and your LED and FoC (if that's what you're doing).

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Most newer 14500s have a 2A discharge rate. This will handle the board which takes about 300ma, the switch at 50ma, and your LED and FoC (if that's what you're doing).
    Yup that's exactly what I plan to do. Ok cool. Thanks again!!

Old thread, I know, but it seemed relevant.

I can't get my hands on the Trustfire 18650s. TCSS has been out for longer than I've been a member and the external site I used still hasn't seen fit to ship them. At this point I have to start thinking about an alternate power source. Nimh bad, I know, but they're readily available and decently cheap.

If I were to go with a 4-AA pack of Nimhs, would the board be damaged in any way by it? I know people have used them before; just wondering if there were any methods or secrets needed. The voltage isn't an issue at 6v out of the board's maximum 9v; just worried about current.

I can't go any further with this hobby until I have a power source.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    Old thread, I know, but it seemed relevant.
    I can't get my hands on the Trustfire 18650s. TCSS has been out for longer than I've been a member and the external site I used still hasn't seen fit to ship them. At this point I have to start thinking about an alternate power source. Nimh bad, I know, but they're readily available and decently cheap.
    Quite honestly, I would wait until you find the Li-Ions you want or until Tim re-stocks them. If they are still listed in the store, he will get more in stock. Don't take another route just because it's cheaper, especially since NiMH is not usually recommended.

I don't recall any serious reasons for avoiding NiMH, other than the space they take up. Cram-fu is a big issue in most builds, but if you have plenty of room for a NiMH pack, then you shouldn't run into any trouble.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It's only CF you shouldn't use NiMH with, for PC you should be fine.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    If I were to go with a 4-AA pack of Nimhs, would the board be damaged in any way by it? I know people have used them before; just wondering if there were any methods or secrets needed. The voltage isn't an issue at 6v out of the board's maximum 9v; just worried about current.

I can't go any further with this hobby until I have a power source.
    4x nimh = 4.8v not 6v. nimh are only 1.2v not 1.5 like regular non-rechargable batteries.

Is there any way I could get away with a larger pack? The PCU says maximum input is 9v. If there were a resistor to take 8 NiMHs down to 9v, would it be "just as good"? May I also assume that the NiMHs will work when wired as a pack? I assume I'd need protection circuitry and a NiMH charger if I went that route.

For the record, I don't want to use NiMH at all. I just don't see any evidence that I'll ever get my hands on those 18650s and want to practice the knowledge I've gained before it fades away. I know, I know, the Jedi must learn patience. However we're past weeks and getting close to a month, waiting for the batteries to restock. It may have been longer than that; I don't know, since I've only recently joined the forum.

I just want to get busy. TCSS is moving great product and for a good cause. These replicas are the real deal. I want to get started.