Thread: Rgb led, and the completion of my saberstaff

Default Rgb led, and the completion of my saberstaff

Hello everyone, and thanks to anyone who came here after my first post!

I recently purchased 2 LED Modules from Ultrasabers to finish up my Ultrasabers Saberstaff project. I mean no offense to the wonderful people here in Washington with me (TCSS), for I was inducted into the lightsaber hobby through Ultrasabers, and now would like to end my relationship with them, and move on to my own personal brand of saber...

But before I get to my already designed lightsaber from scratch, if you all would help me finish up this side project, it'd be greatly appreciated (and, I need to make sure these LED's are what they should be, since there is only a 90 day warranty with Ultrasabers).

I'm sorry these pics are so big, I edited them down quite a bit in Paint, and on my old camera, and it's still huge, so bear with me all, I beg your forgiveness... This is an EXTREME CLOSEUP, WHHHOOOOAAAAA!!! Of my new RGB LED adjusted by Emory Harris (Deep) or Ultra from Ultrasabers to a forum-only color called "Dark Violet Amethyst," and I have two of them. I need to know what size of a resistor to add to it to put it into a direct drive setup within the basic confines of my Stunt sabers.

Now, according to http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3w-led-...lored-rgb-4530 they are saying that red runs at 2.5 - 3.0 V, and Blue runs at 3.2 - 3.8 V, and both are at 350 mA, so since purple is just red and blue (in theory) and this is just a "darker" purple (more blue), then should I go with a 3.0~V and the 350 mA?

I have a 4 AAA battery pack that comes standard with these stunt sabers. I could change that though, and am open to suggestions. I am here to learn, I am here to listen, and I wont bother you all with a lot of stupid posts, or stupid questions (current question excluded), but I've been dinking with this project now for more than a year. I've done a lot of work, and learned a lot about small electronics, er, at least a lot more than I knew (which was nothing). I just want this complete, so I can focus on my first build, and, that cool mag-lite converter (having been a mag-lite fan for years, thanks TCSS!)...

thanks for your patience all, here are two more pics, just in case!

"Crishoy Tanrein, sir."
    "...never 'eard of 'im..."
    "...and this'll be your last time, I assure you..."

<________________________________/_]|||[_o_]|_|_|_|_|*|_|_||_|_|_|_|_|_|_|[_o_]|||[_/________________________________>

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction since I'm still learning the electronic side myself. But for starters looks like the wire colours are backwards. Also I'm not sure displaying your LED on raw hamburger patty is a good idea. lol

-- Corrected below, disregard Yes, you are correct Ultrasabers wires their LED's backwards for some reason. So when wiring that up just make sure that you realize coming from your LED black is + and red is -. --

I would suggest a 700ma Buckpuck with 5v + highest input voltage, which by the info you have up there you would need 8.8v to drive two of them. You will have to go up to 6xAAA for 9v.
    Last edited by Zzan; 11-09-2011 at 02:31 PM.

The sillkscreen on those LEDs is backwards, its wiring is correct.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

That is indeed a Deal Extreme 3-watt RGB, and it also wired correctly. The pads are mislabeled on the star base, so they actually have a common positive, not a common negative. Those led's are wired in parallel, so with the resistor on the red that is already there (which "tunes" the red for the desired shade of purple), I believe you only need to worry about the voltage and current requirements for the blue. Those led's can be overdriven to 1000ma just fine, and actually I've used them with Petit Crouton's before and run them at 1250ma. and with the pwm driving on that board it works just fine.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Wow, you guys ROCK! I post questions on Ultrasabers forums all the time, and most go unanswered... One day here and I understand? I shoulda been here months ago!!

Special thanks to:.
    Crystal Chambers
    Zzan
    Skottsaber and
    Jay-Gon Jinn

I will be wiring these two hilts separately, by the way, Zzan, but thx for the info

Crystal: That is *not* hamburger, *I* am a vegetarian! That is the top of my sword cutting stand, I put gallon jugs and/or dead fruit on them and practice my tachikaze (the sound a samurai sword makes when it's edge alignment is correct)!

...excellent, now, it's off to radio shack, because shipping time KILLS me...

Thanks all, you all rock, MTFBWY
    "Crishoy Tanrein, sir."

<________________________________/_]|||[_o_]|_|_|_|_|*|_|_||_|_|_|_|_|_|_|[_o_]|||[_/________________________________>

Quote Originally Posted by 'Silent' Crishoy Tanrein View Post
    ...excellent, now, it's off to radio shack, because shipping time KILLS me...
    Something tells me you have had a bad experience with shipping samurai swords

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

on more than one occasion... my father worked for the USPS and I worked for UPS, and we have nothing positive to say, so we say nothing at all. lol
    "Crishoy Tanrein, sir."