Thread: Greetings all!

Default Greetings all!

Hello TCSS Forum dwellers, I call myself Crishoy Tanrein, but my 'nick is 'Silent,' and it's a pleasure to meet/read you all!

I got into this hobby about a year ago, when I first learned of Ultrasabers. I bought a stunt saber. A year later, I bought a similar stunt saber, a coupler, and now I have my original goal; a saberstaff. It is currently being overhauled, and I want to do many things to them to learn about these customizations we can do to our sabers on these before I make my own saber from (near) scratch. I hope some time dwelling here will glean me some pointers, and I already have a question, but I'll look for the appropriate area to do that.

My immediate goal is finishing my saberstaff. Here is a small list of things I wish to do to it:
    *Replace the LED's I got with them with these new LED's I just bought (Dark Violet Amethyst, a forum-member-only color for the Ultrasabers forum, which is where my first question lies)
    *Learn how to make my own rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, and recharge port
    *Battle damage effect
    *Make a *matching* pair of heavy-duty combat blades, where there does *not* appear to be a core, it is just diffused to the very edge of the blade
    *Add accent LED's
    *Add Power Level Indicator
    *Add MR Soundboard, and learn how to make a switch that turns it on an off (so I may have it activate when turned on, or remain off while just the LED's are on)

During some recent dealings with Ultrasabers, I find myself wandering to other pastures, unfortunately. But I see this as a blessing in disguise, because I very much want to learn how to do this hobby-sized electronics stuff, it'll come in handy when the zombies take over and I need to use junk to make flashlights, trip alarms, motion sensor activated cameras, alarm systems, and the like!

For now, I'm just a guy about to turn 30, getting back into martial arts, taking care of my kids (which are all snakes, and a few scorpions and tarantulas), funding my college girlfriend through college, and trying to learn my new 5 string Schecter Raiden Special (BCH) bass! I prefer my bikes to cars, swords to guns (but I own a bunch of both), making bullets as opposed to buying, Vegetarian as opposed to omnivore, and D & D 3.5 as opposed to 4.0!

I'll shut up now, thanks for reading, please check out my second post, where I ask an annoying question!

PS - Once I get my windows drilled out in the emitter section of my Ultrasabers stunt sabers, I'll post pics before I put the Dark Violet Amethyst in!
    "Crishoy Tanrein, sir."
    "...never 'eard of 'im..."
    "...and this'll be your last time, I assure you..."

<________________________________/_]|||[_o_]|_|_|_|_|*|_|_||_|_|_|_|_|_|_|[_o_]|||[_/________________________________>

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Cool! There'll be help in your journey and welcome to TCSS. I do have one question though; what is D&D 3.5 or 4.0? I read & played from the Ancient Texts that were un-numbered...

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Heh, I still have my Pink and Blue boxes, with the wax pencil. I remember the good old days when elves were a class instead of a race
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Duuuude....that's just......archaic....

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I'll admit that I came to TCSS because I was tired of waiting for a response from US. I could not even ask a basic question about installing recharge ports into a $320 saber that I was about to buy from them. Call me crazy, but I think good customer service means at least taking an interest in processing an order.

Of course it's also the case that the holiday rush may have them swamped. I don't think that means I can't have a two-paragraph email explaining why I can or can not have the option I asked for. It's like neglecting to take the time to call your family when you're going to be late for dinner: 30 seconds would have it done and over.

Anyway, that's not important here. I'm just glad to see another gamer on the forum! I hadn't checked out any of the recent D&D editions, but heard there was some sort of scandal about how they'd mucked it up for the fans on one version or the other. I guess I'm weird: I take the best options from my books and throw away the rest.

You mentioned a saberstaff. I want one as well, but I figured it'd be best to crawl before I walk. I've got ideas about blade configurations, couplers, sound vents, and the rest. Those will wait until I've got the basics under my belt.

I do find it curious that you'd want the sound switch to be independent of the ignition of the LED. I suppose a potentiometer between the speaker and the board might work (not sure), or some kind of kill key for the speaker itself might be good. I wouldn't wire a separate switch for that myself, because of the potential to accidentally hit that while the saber is on. It's also possible I could forget that I turned off the sound.

Anyway, glad to meet you. Let me know how your first steps in this hobby go. I think I'll need about as much help as I can get.