Thread: Viewing angle vs. mcd for LED strings

Smile Viewing angle vs. mcd for LED strings

In my searches for the perfect green LEDs for a string blade, I have narrowed the LEDs down to two specific LEDs: 70 degree @ 15000 mcd, OR 120 degree @ 1000 mcd.

Is it better to have a large viewing angle at a lower brightness, or a higher brightness at a smaller viewing angle?

- FTC Team 4250 --FRC Team 3660 -

i think the brightness will be a good way to go but i dont really have a clue what would be better in the end

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Yeah, mcd per degree, the 70 degree LEDs outshine the 120 degree. I think ill go with the 70 and see how it goes.

The angle really does matter for a LED string. If you think about it, the way the LEDs are arranged in a string has the focal point of each LED placed on the back of the next LED. You really do need a wider viewing angle for a super bright blade - look up Supanova on fx-sabers forums to see a lot of the science behind this.

Holy cow! I thought Makoto was the winner of the brightest LED string contest.

Though I don't have the tools, the skills, or the time to make a supernova blade, that's some interesting data. I will experiment with grinding down some LEDs to see how it affects the brightness.

Thanks for the info. I find the fx-sabers forums difficult to navigate, and never would have found this.
    Last edited by WesTheBotMaster; 11-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.

oh i have to try this!

verry good information ... good indeed

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

120 is too wide. I've done it. It looks crappy. Too wide an angle will disperse too much at a closer distance. The goal it to maintain a tight enough point to reach the next LED in line, so they "connect", and look like a singular line of light (behind a difuser, of course). I would recommend 45 to 50 degrees, but no less than 30.

I guess that settles it then. I'll order the 70 degree LEDs. Thanks!