Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Heat Sink Question

Default New Heat Sink Question

I have heard that the "New Style" heat sink does not require the LED to use a lens holder anymore. I don't know much about the new heat sink so is this true? Thank you everybody.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

The new style still requires the lens and lens holder, but if you're using a Rebel Star LED you won't need the heat sink shim. It also doesn't require the plastic screws.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahm View Post
    The new style still requires the lens and lens holder, but if you're using a Rebel Star LED you won't need the heat sink shim. It also doesn't require the plastic screws.
    correct. =)

For the same reasoning that it doesn't use the plastic screws (because the entire assembly is 'sandwiched' together), surely you don't need the holder, as the pressure that holds the LED down also holds down the lens?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    For the same reasoning that it doesn't use the plastic screws (because the entire assembly is 'sandwiched' together), surely you don't need the holder, as the pressure that holds the LED down also holds down the lens?
    That's what I thought. The reason I asked was because someone I talked to on the FX forums said that with the new style heat sink, you don't need a lens holder. I came here to confirm that becauseI had never heard it before.
    Last edited by Machinimax; 11-06-2011 at 08:06 AM.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

It will work with a lens holder, but it also will work without one. Its kind of a preference thing. If you don't use a lens holder, just be careful/gentle when assembling it. You don't want to put too much pressure on the bulb area.
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Takanis View Post
    It will work with a lens holder, but it also will work without one. Its kind of a preference thing. If you don't use a lens holder, just be careful/gentle when assembling it. You don't want to put too much pressure on the bulb area.
    Now the LED I plan on using is a LEDEngin RGBW. If I do use a lens holder, can I use a TCSS holder or will I need one of LEDEngin's holders?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

The lens holder makes sure the lens is spaced properly off the LED dome. I do not recommend not using one. We will soon stock LEDengine's LED's and they can be used with the Seoul P4 lens holder.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    We will soon stock LEDengine's LED's and they can be used with the Seoul P4 lens holder.
    Seriously Tim... you should run for president.

...of the universe.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    The lens holder makes sure the lens is spaced properly off the LED dome. I do not recommend not using one. We will soon stock LEDengine's LED's and they can be used with the Seoul P4 lens holder.

Aw yeahhhh.