Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Muur's Revoke" My 2011 custom saber comp entry

Default "Muur's Revoke" My 2011 custom saber comp entry

Muur's Revoke is a custom saber built by me for the 2011 custom saber comp in which it got 7th place. It was designed for the full custom category. (sorry bit late posting this but better late than never)

the base for my designs came from Karness Murr's light saber and as such is a tribute saber to Karness Muur.

My r&d was a lot more intensive for this build as having a pc sound card it was going to have to be designed for ease of access and as such I spent almost 2 weeks just designing and drawing out plans for the sabers hilt and chassis.
    the hilt is made from various sized straight brass tubes that I beat,flattenned and hammerred into rings,cut filed and poistioned and then brazzed into place. the sabers chassis is made from pvc tube and is glued derictly onto the stock and emitter. It incorporates the speaker box and all electronics into it as one unit. the chassis/stock slides into the hilt which acts as a protective cover more than anything. also I used a type of acid to brown etch the brass under the ribs to help pronounce the ribcage more and then the entire thing was treated to 5 layers of lacquer after a good buffing.

as usual with me the whole thing was made with out precise measurements which i think gives it a more handmade and natural feel.

anyway heres the specs for it.

led:5w ledengine deep red @1.5amp
    reflector:5* optilux
    soundcard:PC-L darkmeat
    batterys:4x AA 2800mha ni-mh@4.8v
    recharge:2.1mm recharge port and kill key.
    speaker:1" tcss premium speaker with tuned resonace chamber.
    blade:40" trans white thin walled poly carbonate with 4ft of cellaphane and custom polyform tip.
    misc:2x momentary push button switches with customs tops,2x red 3mm acent leds with chrome bezels.

Glamourz:

small vid:
    Last edited by vctrsone; 12-01-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: added the vid.
    }---------------{
    ]-----------------"Fullmerge Benzin"----------------------------------------:Beware of the dark side:--------------------------------------- "Fierfek"--------------------------------[

Very cool vctrsone - always wondered what the insperation and thought was behind the saber. I really like your use of materals.
    Yub Yub Commander.

First off, very nice design. I really these inspired sabers.

Second, if you don't mind me asking, how do you keep the internal parts secured and in place in your PVC sled there? I'm looking to make a PVC chassis for my saber and I'm searching for input from people who have made them before. Thank you very much.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

the led heatsink is secured to a 1" brass frost plug that i pressed and glued into the 1" pvc pipe. the batterys are held in place by friction. 2x AA batterys pretty much equal 1" od, so with some tape its a snug fit. the batterys also provide something for the pc-l to sit on top of. the speaker also fits snugly into the 1" pvc tubing..so you can just apply some slicon to the speakers edge and and then carefully wedge it inside and allow to dry..this is how I can take the battery pack out..the silaconed speaker can be easily poped out from behind with a screw driver and once thats out the battery pack slides out which then frees up the pc-l.

I cut little tabs in the pvc tube to hold the card in..basically what i did was but the card in and up against the slots and then slid battery pack underneath it, which pushed the card up onto the slots holding it in place..i then put some silicon around as a precaution against shorts since i have a conductive hilt.

so pretty much its all just wedged into placed and then secured with a little silicon to be safe.
    Last edited by vctrsone; 11-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    }---------------{
    ]-----------------"Fullmerge Benzin"----------------------------------------:Beware of the dark side:--------------------------------------- "Fierfek"--------------------------------[

hot glue and silicone around a PC.... *shudder*

Nice to see a completely scratch built saber though. I know what it's like working with whatever resources you have.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

theres is no hot glue. the board snaps into position in its pvc clips. the silicon around the board is being used at insulation for critical points nothing more.

Most people have nice alloy hilts that you dont need to worry about things arcing out on..My hilts are solid brass so i need to insulate my boards and things a great deal more.

silicon looks ugly but it is extremely effective. and that is the middle of the saber so visuals wernt huge on priority list..it was made for the comp but a nice looking comp saber that will just burn out when dropped or something would be useless, this saber needed to tough, durable as as well as good looking.

Form should always follow function.
    Last edited by vctrsone; 11-02-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    }---------------{

wow.. this saber looks awesome! good job!

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

cheers guys!

I just added in a the video i took of it .
    }---------------{

Excellent job !!!!!! Its organic look is amazing, and I particulary like the way the chassis slides off. Superb

Thankyou Vlad it took me ages to get that chassis set up to work.

I spent about 2 weeks designing the thing an then once id made it I spent a great deal more time perfecting the way it locks together as it was a bit loose when swung around..i ended up adding the little key part on the bottom of the emitter that slides right into the hilt tube and that fixed the problem.
    }---------------{