Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC Questions

Default PC Questions

So I finally went ahead and got myself a Petit Crouton board to install in my second saber, but I have a couple of questions. First, the instructions say to take precautions against static discharge while working with the PC, but I'm not sure what precautions to take exactly. Could someone clarify what that means exactly? Second; do I have to have a second switch for the blaster/ lock-up effects or is there a way to use a DPDT switch for both activation and aux effects? This will be an upgrade of an already completed saber, so I'd rather not have to add another hole for a second switch if I don't have to.

ESD is simply static electricity that can build up on electronic boards and components in transit or movement, and when you touch the board with something metal (like a soldering iron) that static can arc through the components and destroy them with high voltage. The precaution to take is to use a good soldering station that is labelled ESD free. This is a best practice, and isn't a must - but is the best way to protect the board during soldering.
    The aux switch does need to be an entirely separate switch. A DPDT switch activates both circuits at the same time - so it wouldn't be much help for use as an aux switch if it would be your activation switch at the same time. Your PC will work fine with only one switch, you just won't have the blaster and lockup sounds. Otherwise you'll have to drill a hole in your hilt for another switch.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

ESD is mainly a danger from the human body. We can hold a pretty good charge that can destroy or damage parts on the board when you touch it. Simply have an earth ground to touch and de-charge your self before and during handling of the board and sd card. Earth ground is easily found in the 3rd terminal of an electrical outlet. I touch the metal case of my computer tower as it is grounded.

Alright, that seems simple enough as far as the ESD pecautions go. I was afraid it was something more complicated. The second switch is going to be a slightly harder problem and will delay my build a bit while I figure out where to place it and then get it drilled. Thanks for the answers Skott and Sunrider!

No blaster or lock up sounds if you do only one switch? Interesting. That means that you could still use a momentary or latching switch for the main power up of the PC?

Yes, but I don't know why you wouldn't use the aux.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Yes, but I don't know why you wouldn't use the aux.
    LOL what if I didn't want to drill another hole LOL Seriously just something to consider, I just got my first PC, about 20 minutes ago. So I'm doing more reading an reasearch. As far as I can tell it would not hurt to have one switch, IF you don't want the blaster and lock up effects. I just think its kinda cool, its another option (one switch) if you don't want blaster and lock up crazieness LOL

Why buy a PC if you dont want it's features? Would you buy a ride on lawnmower to drive to the local store to buy bread and milk? Lolz.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Quote Originally Posted by bk_renesis View Post
    Why buy a PC if you dont want it's features? Would you buy a ride on lawnmower to drive to the local store to buy bread and milk? Lolz.
    LOL. Right. Of course I want the features, it would be a little disturbing to find that the PC is no more than an MR board with the single switch. Everything that I have read so far, there's been nothing horrible said. So I'm glad I bought it
    But I do likes me options, and I'm all about crazieness
    Last edited by Noyl Wendor; 10-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.

So here's a question about the PC (since all I've done is semi-witty banter). Does any one have a preference to running a P4 with the PC? Or is there an overall reason why someone should run a Luxeon with thier PC?
    I prefer the P4's myself. Just the way I like em', I've not had any trouble with them. Compared to the LUX blue I have, the P4 blue seems to me to be better. I figure a P4 will do so much better on a Petit Crouton SB, than a harvested MR