Thread: Micro screw threads? Less than 4-40?

Default Micro screw threads? Less than 4-40?

i'm working on mounting my custom control box as well as bunny ears to my emitter shroud.
    as i used to build computers for people, i have a bunch of micro screws used for things like hard drives, motherboards, etc.

i'm not positive the threading size, but i know they're less than 4-40.
    i'm assuming 2-56.
    these are the perfect size to mount both the bunny ears as well as the control box. i think 4-40 would end up being a tiny bit too large.

i have a couple questions:

1. how would i go about finding the threading size for these?
    2. are there places locally that would sell a tap this small? i went to lowe's on my lunch break and it looked like the smallest tap they had was 4-40.
    i couldn't find an employee who was free to ask them if they could special order something like this for me. and i didn't have the screw with me to check if they could size it or something?

if i had to eyeball it, it'd be extremely similar to these hex screws VV used on their starkiller:

The Dark Side is all I have...

screw diameter:
    4-40 = .112"
    3-48 = .099"
    2-56 = .086"
    1-72 = .073
    0-80 = .060"

I have used almost all of these sized screws at one time or another doing sabers. If I recall, the screws on the VV Starkkiller are 2-56. As far as sourcing a tap, you will not find anything less than 4-40 at Lowes, Home Depot or your local Ace hardware stores. You will need to look for a local industrial supply house and see if they might carry them. More than likely, you will have to order them from some store online.

well ****e...
    i thought that might be the answer. all right, thanks for your help.
    i bet fastenal has it. i'll check with them.

thanks.

be careful as those parts are exspensive I bouth 12 2-56 set screws and a alan head wrench and paid over 30 bucks from fasenol. and the tap broke. go me lol.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

McMaster also carries the taps and the screws.

On our Starkiller, 2-56 was used on the control box, but 4-40 were used on the bunny ears, and side shroud screws.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

thx guys, yeah xan, fastenal has a tap for like $7-8
    up there in price, but i'll probably go with them since i won't have to pay shipping.

thx fender for the confirmation. i'm gonna end up using 2 2-56 screws for the control box and a 3rd for the bunny ears.
    i'm currently running 8-32 for my button head shroud screws, but i'm going to downsize to the 4-40.
    i think they look better and give more surface area space for the control box as well.