Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: blade emitter with claws...

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    The only other 'site' (singular) that offers a DIY claw/emitter is US, and they are infringing on the MHS system by doing so.
    Really? How so? As far as I can tell, the claws, strictly by themselves, will attach to any round aluminum tube that is around 1.4" to 1.5" in diameter. I'm just curious as to what I must be missing when looking at them.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Sorry, meant the emitter...not really the claws by themselves...but semantics....

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Ah. Thanks. I missed the "/emitter" part. I only had claws on the brain, lol.

While it would be cool to see more mass produced claws on the market, according to Tim, the demand is not high enough to warrant it/make it feasible. If we're lucky, maybe he will do limited runs or something in the future (crosses fingers).
    Last edited by ARKM; 11-09-2011 at 05:19 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I have claws on the brain too....

Been trying to come up with new ways to do them myself.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

You could make your own claws using a jig saw or band saw. Start by making your design on paper for a pattern. I would use some type of thin wood for a trial run claw. Once you have the design you are happy with you can transfer the design on to a piece of plate aluminum and cut it out with the jig saw or band saw. Make sure you use a metal cutting blade in the saw. Shaping and smothing edges can be done with sand paper, metal files, and of course you drimel. It might take some practice with jig saw if you are not used to using one that is why I suggested using wood for trial run. I have made a few claws that way. Hope that might help. As stated do alot of reading tons of info here but there are some sharp edges.
    MTFBWYA

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    How do you know Tim isn't and hasn't been working hard on a simple system for implementing claws? The only other 'site' (singular) that offers a DIY claw/emitter is US, and they are infringing on the MHS system by doing so. This is another reason that it shouldn't really be discussed here. This is a DIY hobby. If it isn't readily available, DIY. Simple. Or barring that, how about, I dunno, contacting Tim directly and see what he can do? That seems like it would make sense to me.
    I dig what you're saying Fender, and I agree that US probably shouldn't be making MHS parts, but as I said they have one option Tim hasn't yet offered: two styles of loose claw to fix to any emitter. And while I am all about DIY, sometimes my skill level gets in the way of my ideas and my patience. I guess I just didn't like the interpretation of the letter of the Solicitation Rule. Oh well, I will drop this subject. MtFbwY

Basic wood working tools and still a bit of a noob. The claws on this only took a weekend....http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...10987-Demonica

It would be cool if TCSS offered the mounts at least to make stable claws easier to do. Maybe even some stock for claws we could cut out our own. Mine came out ok but I'm kind of scared of damaging them.

I know for a fact that Tim will drill and tap any of the blade holders he carries. With a bench grinder and some creativity, I like the DIY idea. There's something freaking awesome about creating a saber that is unique and totally yours. Plus you get total kudos for finishing a saber, and even more praise for customizing your own parts.

Noobs make mistakes, and so do long-time members... An offence is only an offence if it is taken as such. The advice given here is terrific and should be heeded. I spent weeks researching the forums and their stickies before I posted my first questions. I'm no pro, but finishing my first saber did wonders for my confidence. On top of that, even when I thought it was finished, the folks here were very helpful when it came to improving it. I'm currently working on saving some funds up for the purchase of parts for my second saber.

If at first you don't succeed, share your failures so others can learn, and take another crack at it! Like I said before, nothing will earn you more "thumbs-ups" than homemade custom and creative parts...

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Default one relatively easy claw mounting method

Hi, I haven't engaged much on this forum, sorry, but I've read an enormous amount of it, and will try to participate better...

I am deep in the finishing stages of my sith lightsaber still in progress. It has 3 claws or 'forks' as i call them that attach to Emitter #18.
    I used 1/4 black ABS to make my forks, and flat sanded them on a bar steel with 220grit sandpaper to taper the width on each side to a blunted 1/8" point at the tip.
    They sit in 3 equidistant channels across the large central shoulder 'mound' (look at Blade Holder #18, you'll see to what i refer); I cut and filed them with a dremel metal cutting disc, round stone grinder bit and mill and jewelers files. About 3/16" deep, so each fork sits in their channel snugly.
    I cut a slot in each fork near the bottom, flush with the surface of the mound face. i used a hose clamp, a larger one so that the band has none of the slots the worm gear engages in them. i cut off the adjuster and the slotted parts of the clamp, so i have just a flat steel clamp 1/2" wide. I ran the clamp through each slot. the ends are about an 1/8" apart, and have a screw hole and a small second hole on each tip. the small holes engage with the tips of a c-clip pliers. squeeze the pliers together, the band ends meet, and the screw holes align with tapped screw holes beneath them. Insert a screw in each hole, and you have all 3 claws firmly located and clamped in 3 axes. my forks have a tail to them that run back onto the shroud of the main body, and i could put a cap head allen screw in there, but i don't want to mess up the esthetics.
    I painted the forks a deep black, and also most of the emitter, and the clamp, using that awesome black appliance epoxy spray.. I buffed the flat surfaces and detail weathered all exposed edges and points to suggest age and wear and tear. The band for the most part blends in with the emitter and claws.
    After i have the saber at a satisfying degree of 'doneness', I'll go back and re-make the forks out of 1/4 aluminum, the stock for which I have on hand.
    I'll post pictures of what i'm talking about above, tonight from home.

Here are pics of what I described...

Cheers,
    ~Darsha Sinis
    Not Jedi, Not Sith, an unaligned Dark Sider from the Sith Empire era.
    Last edited by Darsha Sinis; 11-14-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironphoenix View Post
    I dig what you're saying Fender, and I agree that US probably shouldn't be making MHS parts, but as I said they have one option Tim hasn't yet offered: two styles of loose claw to fix to any emitter. And while I am all about DIY, sometimes my skill level gets in the way of my ideas and my patience. I guess I just didn't like the interpretation of the letter of the Solicitation Rule. Oh well, I will drop this subject. MtFbwY
    Your are mistaken. TIm offered two different claw styles and a mount many years ago. From what I have heard, they just were not that popular of an item and they eventually were phased out of the store. I know they have been asked for over and over but as with most things 'ask 50 people what they want and you will get 100 different answers.' There can never be any concensus when Tim asks what people want for claws. Some want a mount to hold one claw like a Dooku might have. Others want 2 claws, 3 claws, or 16 claws. Some want to be able to mount them to any blade holder, others to the pommel, and still others to just about any MHS section. Some want dull blades for looks, others want razor sharp claws for cleaning their kill. Some want aluminun, others brass, some want anodized and some want unobtanium claws. For a part that is not that popular, I don't think Tim wants to make 1138 different claw types/configurations. Maybe some day Tim will have a viable claw option, but for now, it's a DIY part.