Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3W Blue vs. 3W Royal Blue

Default 3W Blue vs. 3W Royal Blue

Ok so Ive been looking at all the pictures of blade colors and I cant see the difference between blue and royal blue. Can somebody please describe the differeces between the two colors. Does anyone have a preference? Is one brighter/better than the other?

In my opinion I saw that the blue has a baby blue core look and the royal blue can appear with a deep blue effect around it with a white core. Again, that is just my opinion. I don't think one look brighter than the other but if you were to have to choose one, I'd recommend the royal blue.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A picture is worth a thousand words... that axim is probably so true. If you can't see a difference then it's even sillier to go off a description. Unless you are trying to match a certain color then go with Royal Blue. If you don't want to end up with a blue you think is too light that's the answer.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i had this same dillema and i chose royal blue, i have yet to hook it up cause the conversion tutorial isn't up but it should be cool

<center>

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.
    </center>

I really recommend royal blue. It looks as though you'll be more happy in the long run compared to regular blue.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

and on the lumen chart it is like 2 times as bright as regular blue

<center>

</center>

Lumens tell technical info but sometimes they usually don't help. I think the reason why they have different lumen outputs is to make them appear to be at the same level when seen by the eye. Like if you were to see green at 30 lumens and red at 30 lumens, the green would look brighter. At least that's my theory please correct my mistakes if I'm wrong.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i think your wrong because our eyes are most sensitive to green so it has the highest lumen count. it is a gauge of how bright the color appears to the human eye

<center>

</center>

Actually on the lux III red orange has the highest lumen count and 2nd is the regular red. Yet in some comparisons they look the same. But thanks for the correction, I really like the information and understanding everything about color and lumens.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

NO!!! You were correct to begin with. Lumens mean nothing to the eye. The colors that will be most sensative to our eyes would be the Amber and Green (the ideal is a yellowish green color).

Ever wonder why a 1W green is pretty nice while other 1W colors blow? Because green is a good color for our eyes. It's the same reason they use red or blue on lights meant for night use. Our eyes will adjust faster to the darkness using those colors.

Moocow is direct on there. Red-Orange is double the lumens of green yet it doesn't really appear that way. More accurately if you want to guage brightness the surroundings illluminated would tell better than looking at the blade itself.

Do not make a choice based on the lumens for Blue vs. Royal Blue either! mW to lumens the Royal Blue is half of the 30lumens on a Blue yet no one is saying the Royal Blue is any lower.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>