Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evening, TCSS friends. I have a possible taboo question: electrical component commish

Default Evening, TCSS friends. I have a possible taboo question: electrical component commish

So...I am looking to my right hand side, on the floor, and I see this pink puddle of what I think was a little brain matter that fell out. Haha, what I mean to say is I've been scouring the TCSS forums for, oh, about the last few weeks reading up on everything from the MHS system, LEDs, heatsinks, FX conversions, blade types, the PC circuit board, so on and so on. After spending my time with multiple tabs open and reading all this, I decided to get my hands on some used FX sabers my cousin had purchased from and Ebay vendor a few years ago. I once purchased, also some years ago, a simple MHS hilt and pommel and emitter from here. So looking on and following directions I tried to solder and wire things together and here is what I have concluded; I have no engineering/electrical aptitude whatsoever. Sort of shameful because here you all are, very bright, very motivated folks who know this stuff. I have technical aptitude in general (I sell cell phones) and while I can handle cells with ease and troubleshoot problems, it's all mostly software related. I just guess that my brain has a more difficult time understanding complex concepts, as you'll find with electrical circuits and their construction and assembly. I understand the basics, and what the various parts do, to a degree, but with all that's involved I'd see myself breaking the internal electrical parts before anything as I've done twice already; I'm a visual learner, so studying and seeing another put together a saber and it's construction a few times, and I'd be a little bit better off. But alas, I don't have anyone here to show me

So, all that being said; in a very strong DIY forum with a strong DIY community, I know it would be rather taboo to ask this, but I'd be remiss and rather upset with myself if I didn't at least try. Hopefully without attracting the disapproval and scorn from most of you, here goes. I am wondering, if I were to choose the parts I'd like for a saber from the MHS builder (or what I already have), from hilt to blade, to buttons and electronics; would anyone be willing to at the least construct the electrical components for me? I can screw pieces of metal together, I'm not that inept and I can wiggle in the board and all that. It's just all the soldering and wiring that I am hoping to find someone to assemble.

I do feel awkward and slightly embarrassed for having needed to ask this, but you're about the only group of people I know and trust to do something like this, and do it well. If you are willing and would like to help me in this, feel free to comment, or PM me. Whichever you like. Thank you for reading all of this, I am long winded, I know. Hopefully the backlash of this post won't be too bad! O.o

You might get chewed out for asking that in a thread lol but I won't. Lol. Here I am JUST like you when I started, I am a visual learner, tell me how and I'm like huh? But show me I'm golden lol here is a link to a MHz build with soldering and all.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=s322OZ6GEtE

If the link does not work let me know, as I'm
    On my iPhone. If not I'll get on my laptop and correct the problem.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Hey, thank you very much for not chewing me out! I did click the link but I don't think it worked, as it didn't bring me to any video with building instructions haha. On that note, a bit of a shot in the dark, but anyone on here from CT or MA that's built a lightsaber?

"The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

well im not going to chew you out but others may/will, i understand how you feel and i say the best this to do is build a stunt saber for your self. maybe 3 just to get the hang of a soldering iorn it is a easy thing to do it takes time to learn but you can do it. a stunt saber with in hilt recharge would be the next step and after a saber with sound and i bet you will impress your self with what you can do on your own.

good luck

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

the most taboo part of this question is the commission part. Not only do we all encourage DIY but this forum is connected to the store so we can't really do business here. There are other forums online to do this though. In the meantime I agree with the above. Stunt sabers aren't very hard and once you do a few solders you'll get the hang of basic soldering. I've had no real experience before I joined this site aside from art/design. Still a lot to learn but I'm relatively confident in my skills now. It took me a few months before I completed my first saber with sound and I had a lot of headaches and sleepless nights but SOOOOO worth it.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 10-20-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Thank you all so much, you've helped instill some more confidence in me to try again, the video above also helps tremendously! So I think I am going to go for a basic stunt saber, pretty much just like the one above as it's something I can follow along step, by step. The only thing I am having a hard time with right now is getting the stuff in the store! Do certain parts like the LED holder just come with other parts, because I can't seem to find it. In the video he used a Luxeon III, something I don't see in the store. Just the Luxeon Rebel Star and a Seoul P4. Which would you recommend I use instead? Will there be any differences on how I solder these LED circuit boards than how it is shown in the video?

Last question, is also in the video, the pommel is closed off with the TCSS logo placed in the back. I have a hilt, pommel, choke and emitter sitting in my drawer now from when I ordered one a long time ago. I plan on using these but my pommel has nothing to keep the battery pack from falling out lol. How do I got about getting my pommel closed up as in the video?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by LED holder. If you mean the copper heatsink, it should have come with the MHS emitter. If not, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...sink-P234.aspx is the heatsink for old style emitters.

Look here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pommels-C34.aspx for the inserts to close up the end of your pommel. There are several to choose from, in decorative and functional varieties. The MPS clip will hold the insert in place very well, but it can be a pain to install without the right tool. I've used a paperclip bent into a circle as a quick and temporary alternative. You're unlikely to be able to remove the MPS clip once it's installed.

Rebel Star or Seoul P4, they work the same really. Find the one with the color you want that's in stock, and make sure you get the appropriate resistor for your LED and battery pack.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

You've helped me plenty in the chat, Silver, and I made a post in the parts list for my first build. Thank you!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

See how nice our forum members can be when someone does not make a one line post saying "I am lazy, feed me!!"
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop