Thread: How to make a flashlight batty holder for your PVC sabers.

Default How to make a flashlight batty holder for your PVC sabers.

I was starting myself a saber, and thought I would make a tort on how I make my flashlight battery holders. Most of the flashlights I used are a 4 volts, with 3 AAA bats in them.
    I hope I do this right!

OK I decided to make a lil tort on how to make a battery holder out of a LED flashlight. Like the pics below.

OK
    1. I take my flashlight.

2. I then take out the batteries, and hallow out the inside.
    I like to take the socket set extension and just push out the LED holder and board.

3. After the flashlight is hallowed out. I start to make the positive connection.
    I take a water bottle cap and cut the edges to fit the inside of the flashlight.
    The inner ring is normally a good guide for this. Mine is a bit messy this time, but I will be covering it all with hot glue.

4. Next I cut a small hole in the center of the cap for the connection. I will be using a small screw for the connection.

Hole

5. Now I solder the positive wire to the nut.

6. Fit the whole set up in the flashlight to see how well it fits. Mine fits great, so now to start on the negative wire.

7. I soldered the neg. wire to the metal ring they have in the flashlight for there ground and use it as the same. I then place it in the flashlight. Again this will be covered in hot glue, so I am not using any heat sink. I normally do for other projects.

It’s basically all done. I just need to do a test, aaannnnnddddd! IT WOKS!!! 4.7 volts!

Now to clean up any mess and add some hot glue for safety and it is ready for a saber like this below!

Thanks for reading! I hope this will give you guy’s new ideas.
    Last edited by Ripper; 10-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.

"Impressive. Most impressive. Your skills are complete."

LOL

But seriously, this is great. I have a good feeling people will be following in your footsteps with this idea soon. Nice job.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Cool. I like it. Gives me some ideas. The only downside is it would seem to block sound resonance from the upper hilt. Better for pommel based sound or stunt sabers right? Unless there were modifications to the design of course. hmm...actually reverse sound without pommel venting could work too....You got me thinking now.

Yeah I only made no sound like this. I have made one with sound out of an old pipe I found. But that was my super new days and I use the green speakers to the hasbro sabers and the sound was real bad. I have been wanting to go back and remake one.

I need a schematic for that 7 segment voltmeter immediately!
    Uber cool!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    I need a schematic for that 7 segment voltmeter immediately!
    Uber cool!
    Originally that is made to test out the power to a custom made electronic cigarette. The bat holder is the beginning to a "flashlight mod". They sell the meter and or the display screen on a site I use to by parts for “e-cig mods”. They sell the components to make it to. I just got the assembled one. I rigged it so I can test voltage on more then just e-cigs. PM me and I’ll tell you how to make or get one.

This looks like very hard. The tutorial is really a great help for me to follow. Thanks for all the ideas.
    Last edited by padycustom; 11-16-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    We stand behind. Dining Room Table Pads

Brilliant idea--thanks for sharing!
    I'm sure this will really be useful to some folks.
    LIGHTSABER=to hack, swing, slash, slice, dice and dismember limbs!

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Cool. I like it. Gives me some ideas. The only downside is it would seem to block sound resonance from the upper hilt. Better for pommel based sound or stunt sabers right? Unless there were modifications to the design of course. hmm...actually reverse sound without pommel venting could work too....You got me thinking now.
    Or depending on the board and length of your saber, you could add a secondary smaller speaker above the battery compartment and have sound firing in both directions if you don't mind the added current draw...