Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maul Conversion Question

Red face Maul Conversion Question

So I read the posts for noobs, I checked the index and I searched several times before posting this, so I apologize up front if I missed the answer to this question, but I'd like to confirm this prior to completing the first of two maul conversions.

I'm getting ready to reassemble the pieces and I'm not clear on where the blade retention screw should be placed. According to Tim's directions I need to mark the exterior of the hilt and drill through the body and balde holder. What do I do with the old MR pin that ran through the hilt body below the emitter? Is it possible to reuse this hole and drill into the blade holder for the set screw? Or is that pin placement to low and would it go through the heat sink? I'd rather not make another hole in the body unless necessary. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to put the retention screw so that it's somewhat hidden? Also, am I correct that the only item holding the blade, blade holder is the retention screw? The board and battery pack are just sandwiched in between the blade holder and end cap, correct (besides the actual wired connection between the board and LED)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Danny

No, I wouldn't try using the pin location for the retention screw. As you suspect, it is too low on the hilt to work for that since the hole is located almost directly over the area of the blade holder that contains your led. I have put them up near the emitter before in the black sections between the fins and used a black set screw making it nearly invisible to anyone that doesn't know it's there.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    I have put them up near the emitter before in the black sections between the fins and used a black set screw making it nearly invisible to anyone that doesn't know it's there.
    Thank you for confirming the screw placement. One other question, do the lens and lens holder clip or secure themselves in some way to the luxeon or heat sink? I thought I saw a post from Tim back in 2007 that talked about simple pressure (between the blade holder and the heat sink holding the pieces in place. Thank you!

Yes, the assembly is screwed together so it is sandwiched together. I just recently did 2 mauls very fun.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Quote Originally Posted by danimal669 View Post
    Thank you for confirming the screw placement. One other question, do the lens and lens holder clip or secure themselves in some way to the luxeon or heat sink? I thought I saw a post from Tim back in 2007 that talked about simple pressure (between the blade holder and the heat sink holding the pieces in place. Thank you!
    It depends on what lens your using. I've found that the 5 degree lenses need a tiny bit of "modding" done to the holder in order to sit straight. However, the rebel lenses sit nicely in the rebel holders.
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Quote Originally Posted by danimal669 View Post
    The lens and holder will stay in place with pressure from screwing in the heatsink, but it's always a good idea to use the adhesive heat transfer pads Tim sells to affix your led to the heatsink. not only does it hold the led to the copper heatsink, but it helps in thermal transfer between the led and the heatsink.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I usually use those "pin holes" and tap them for 8/32 set screws (1/8") and use them for extra security holding the blade holder in place. Makes everything stronger. You can do this or not.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread but it seemed appropriate to ask it here. Since we are on the topic of the MR Maul kits, what is the length of the conversion part?

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Machinimax View Post
    Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread but it seemed appropriate to ask it here. Since we are on the topic of the MR Maul kits, what is the length of the conversion part?
    My digital caliper says it's 2,955 inches long with an outer diameter of approximately 1,143 inches

Hey thanks!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker