Thread: Wiring Multicolor LED, FoC CF, series circuit, parallel circuit?

Default Wiring Multicolor LED, FoC CF, series circuit, parallel circuit?

I want to wire a RGBW LED using a CF to produce a FoC. RB for Purple main blade and W for the clash.
    Battpack is 7.4 v 18500 1400 mA 3500 mA max discharge...

Just a few questions:

In a parallel setup the voltage remains the same and the current drops...

1. So if I want to give both main dices 1250 mA I have to configure the CF to output 2500 mA... (Thats the max anyway)? Configuring it to 1250 mA would only give each one 625 mA right?
    Given the fact that the battpack has a max discharge current of 3500 mA I can give up to 1000 mA for the FoC dice without blowing the battpack...?

In a series circuit the current remains the same and the voltage drops...

2. So if I wire both main dices in series I just have to configure the CF to output 1250 mA and both dices get these 1250 mA
    I would have 2250 mA left for the FoC led?

Sidenote: Is the voltage drop avoided by the CF because it detects the Vf and outputs the correct one anyway? (Series circuit)

3. Any method prefered, like series over parallel or parallel over series?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

Wire RB dies in parallel, resistor the red for appropriate shade of purple, set current at max (2A). Each die will get 1A each.

Resistor you Pex for your single W die as it runs batt power upto 2A.

Also for example;

Parallel is when voltage remains the same but you need more current for each extra die. 1 die=1A, 2 dice=2A, etc.

Serial is when current remains the same but you need more voltage for each extra die. 1 die=3.5V, 2 dice=7V, etc.
    Last edited by bk_renesis; 10-13-2011 at 02:10 AM.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Alright I would have 1500 mA left for the FoC dice since 2000 mA is already been drawn and the max discharging current of the battpack is 3500 mA? (3500 - 2000 = 1500)

Can you give me a resistor I could start with? For a nice deep, bluish and dark purple? (Not pinky...)

Try a 10ohm resistor and go back or forth from there, I would say anywhere from about 6 to 15 ohm would be useable. Also make sure you use a 3watt resistor minimum. So that's would be a 6-15ohm 3watt resistor.

Edit: disregard above paragraph. The one below is more accurate.

Try a potentiometer on the red die, I use a 3w 25ohm pot then measure the resistance across the pot, minus the resistance on your multimeter leads and solder the closest value resistor you can find. A 1w resistor with your preferred ohm rating will be fine.
    Last edited by bk_renesis; 10-14-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Nice so its a correct calculation 3500 mA max discharge - 2000 mA = 1500 mA left? (5 watt ok too dont want that it gets to hot?)

Is it true that the pex will draw 2A anyway no matter what resistor I use so setting the CF to 2A will exceed the batt max discharge of 3.5A, because 2A pex draw and 2A CF main blade draw???

Its not already been answered...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Your questions have already been answered MANY times over on FX. You wouldn't be as confused if you stuck with one source of answers until you understand the material better. Also for color mixing in parallel, a 3W resistor is OVERKILL. The wattage of the resistor has NOTHING to do with the wattage of the die/led that you're using. The wattage of the resistor has to do with the voltage drop between source voltage and load. So, on a CF/PC build where the board supplies the voltage, it will supply it based on the highest use die, i.e. the blue die. This should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.4v. So, the voltage drop between the supply (3.4v) and the red die (2.9-3v) is very small, so a 1W resistor will do JUST FINE. There is a formula for calculating power in this instance, it is very useful. Just guessing at the ohm rating is foolish. Use a potentiometer and do it right.

Remember, wiring a multi-die LED in parallel and using the die that have the biggest difference in vf (red and blue, red and green etc) will give you color separation on a soundboard with ramping FX, like a CF or PC.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I posted this thread before anything has been answered on fx ... Thats also why I wrote they have been answered... Check the time of the various posts.

But thanks alot for the detailed answer though! I guess GG parallel and BR series is the best bet!