Thread: Checking Chassis Design.

Default Checking Chassis Design.

Hello Saberland!

As I have been digging around the plethora of knowledge the TCSS Forums has to offer, I have learned that safely securing the electronics of your saber is essential to any build. So I have been taking a look at the chassis parts that Tim offers in the store and came up with a design that I would like to have checked out if you guys wouldn't mind.

chassis.jpg

I will use 3 (maybe 4) chassis style 2 disks with holes. Disk 1 on the image above will be be held within the bottom of the choke. Now since the disks are 1.24 in. in OD, I assume that they will fit nice and snugly inside the opening of the part (kind of like a cap) but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case I'll wind up using some sort of adhesive in order to keep it in place (only the choke disk mind you). The disks shall be held together by two or three of the 4-40 threaded rods Tim sells and will each be sandwiched by hex nuts so I can keep them from sliding. From there I'll secure the electronics (in this case a PC and the battery pack) to the rods via a thermal adhesive, zip lock ties, or some other means. Not sure which one but I'll figure it out. Note that the PC will be resting in the center of the grip section of the hilt. Thank you very much for your help and patience everybody.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Change your position 1 disk to a type 1 - they're designed to lock between the MHS threads, but you may have to change your rods since the 4-40's pass nicely through the holes. The disk would rest tight against the back of the choke, meaning there's no room for the nuts on that end... Alternately, since you're using sound you could modify a speaker holder in place of the disk at position 3, assuming your speaker was to be mounted in the pommel end, and slide the whole chassis in from that end. Also, check the disks when you get them to make sure they slide cleanly through the parts - I've had a few DF sections where the internal diameter is a little tighter (nominal dimensions have a tolerance) and the disks have to be sanded down a smidge. Not hard to do, though.

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    Change your position 1 disk to a type 1 - they're designed to lock between the MHS threads, but you may have to change your rods since the 4-40's pass nicely through the holes. The disk would rest tight against the back of the choke, meaning there's no room for the nuts on that end... Alternately, since you're using sound you could modify a speaker holder in place of the disk at position 3, assuming your speaker was to be mounted in the pommel end, and slide the whole chassis in from that end. Also, check the disks when you get them to make sure they slide cleanly through the parts - I've had a few DF sections where the internal diameter is a little tighter (nominal dimensions have a tolerance) and the disks have to be sanded down a smidge. Not hard to do, though.
    Ok so change top disk to type 1, check, and I'll assume keep the other 2 as type 2 in order for them to fit inside since there are no threads there (just sand a little off OD if necessary) or should I change those to type 1 as well? Finding other rods shouldn't be a problem and I actually had the speaker idea you mentioned in mind, just forgot to mention it myself. Much obliged!
    Last edited by Machinimax; 10-12-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker