Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Clip?

Default Magnetic Clip?

I was wondering if anyone has ever played with using magnets instead of covertec (or D-rings, etc) clips to attach their sabers. I was thinking that, for an upcoming costume, if I just worked in a magnetic strip into the cloth around where the saber would hang, and then replaced the covertec knob with another magnet, it should be much easier to take on and off than a covertec. Is this a ridiculous idea, or should I pursue it?
    Life is short. Yoda is shorter.

I'm sure it's been thought of, but I've never seen it done for a saber. I can see the saber coming off quite easily if it's not secured in more than one place. If you can get it to work though that might be rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
    I'm sure it's been thought of, but I've never seen it done for a saber. I can see the saber coming off quite easily if it's not secured in more than one place. If you can get it to work though that might be rather interesting.
    That's one of the main problems. Finding magnets strong enough to keep it secure, but not too strong as to make it overly difficult to remove.

Ive done one. It can work with a pair of really strong magnets that are good size. Here is a movie of it & you can see what I used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1x9EBKmUhQ

The belt loop is the clip in the store here with a magnet jb welded in it. The trick is to put a little hook on the end to catch the corner of the magnet on the saber and ridges on the sides so it can't twist. Then it can't pull straight down but if you pull out or up it will undo.

I tried using a countersunk ring neo-magnet.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEO-Strong...item1c1f8bf706

I attached it to MPS style 6 with a recharge port (needed some modding). In the end i didn't like the way it was hanging or how low it sat.

So yes it dose work. But next time I think I will get one machined into the side of my hilt. probably a smaller one to
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Strong-NEO...ht_2557wt_1139

Oh and yes there really strong.
    So what, I made a cancer stick

Wow, thanks both of you, very helpful stuff. Sunrider, for your saber, was the attached magnet already curved to fit the hilt, or did you have to mod it to fit? Also, would you happen to know where you got your magnets from?

Thanks!

I just filed a flat spot that fit the magnet and jb welded it to the hilt. Those magnets I got out of the trunk of a 90s Buick. If you look around you should find something similar. The stronger the better.

Thanks a lot! Sorry for so many questions, but what did you use to file down the hilt? (I'm a total metal noob)

Quote Originally Posted by RoqueSaber View Post
    Thanks a lot! Sorry for so many questions, but what did you use to file down the hilt? (I'm a total metal noob)
    Maybe a FILE of some sort.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Magnets have an interesting effect on JB Weld. The magnetic field makes the steel particles in it sort of "crawl" around the magnet will it's still in a somewhat liquid forum.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!