Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion on the Petit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your Opinion on the Petit.

Now I know there are some customer testimonies about the PC in the shop but I would like to hear some fresh opinions. What do you think of the PC? I looking to possibly purchase
    one for my saber. I've been keeping an eagle eye out for any Crystal Focus boards but I'm not too sure if getting one is going to come to fruition. If that's the case I'm gonna go with
    PC but I would just like to hear what you guys think about the PC first. Thank you very much everybody.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

It's a pretty good soundboard.

It's great for the price. CFs are hard to get a hold of, and the PC-U has most of the features you're gonna want in a board. Not to mention that Erv is putting together a GUI that allows you to configure the board directly through your Windows or Mac...

Next to the CF, it is the soundboard of choice.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

I have 2 and I will not use anything else unless I get a CF. Its adjustable, easy to install, and and the sound quality is great. For the price, you cant beat it. Hope you get one you will not be dissapointed.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

the last two posts sum it perfectly..

the sound quality is still really good!

and unless you can a CF... for FoC, multiple sound banks, other effects (more blinkies..etc)

a PC is the 'only' choice.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Well, you guys summed it up pretty well and as most already know, my opinion is kinda slanted, lol. As far as MAdcow's fonts...I use them on most of my builds and they work perfectly. You just need to follow xl97's checklist and you wil l figure it out
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

So far all the questions have been about sound quality, detection sensitivity, and general features of the card's hardware and software. What I want to know is how durable it is. The one reason I wanted an Obsidian XT over the other available boards was the fact that it was encased in black epoxy, to protect its components from impact and moisture. I need to know that my $125 soundboard will withstand jarring impact from heavy contact parries and strikes.

I know the PC was designed to be a lightsaber board for lightsaber fanatics, but I don't want to just assume. It seems to me they would have made it as durable as possible, knowing that we would want to duel with them, but as I said, I don't know so I ask.

What would the likelihood be that one could mock up a DIY epoxy encased PC? As long as the material is non-conductive I can't see as there'd be a problem with it. I know I'm hunting rabbits with a rocket launcher, but I like my meats pre-processed.

The simple truth is that the PC is more shock resistant than the potted soundboard you referenced because it has all low profile parts. It does not have a giant capacitor hanging off of it. There are many ways to install one so that it can stand up to rough playing around. I prefer a layer of tape for insulation rather than potting for many reasons. Look around for examples of good installation practice. That is how to prevent malfunction.

The PC is definitely durable. The individual components aren't heavy enough to put any considerable strain on their solder joints, and the solder joints themselves are solid metal. If heavy dueling could break electronic boards then the CF (big brother to the PC) wouldn't have been developed more than 5 years ago

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent