Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bladeholder style 16 where to put blade retention screw? :)

Default Bladeholder style 16 where to put blade retention screw? :)

Hey there,

I just have a quick question that hopefully someone experienced can answer...

I want to tap a hole for a blade retention screw in the blade holder style 16 and was wondering where the best spot would be?

Im a bit afraid that the holder might bend, get cracks or even break if I duel very heavily with it? (Because of the tension)
    Or is that nonsense?

These are the two options I consider

-->

Note the 1 one is a bit suboptimal because the screw would be in the area I put my hand ...

Anyway thanks in advance!

Yours sincerely,

Marco

I had the same doubt with this holder. The first option won't really bother if the screw has no head. You won't really notice them. IMHO, the second option may hold the blade better, but I don't think it's relevant. It's more an aesthetical matter... and I can't imagine you breaking the holder

Both are fine, though it's generally a good idea to get the retention screw as close to the end of the saber as is practical. The blade holder is unlikely to bend, crack, or break even with heavy dueling. These parts are very durable.

I have bent blade retention thumbscrews though. You may want to consider using a set screw instead of a thumbscrew, as it will not protrude from the blade holder. The downside is that you'll need to carry a tool to loosen/tighten the set screw instead of just using your fingers.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I have the same exact blade holder for my first lightsaber and I placed the blade retention screw on your #2. I used the 8-32 x 1/8" Set screw in the market so it does not stick out at all and does not distract from the rest of the saber. But like Silver Serpent stated you do have to have a allen wrench with you if you want to remove the blade holder.

i always assumed thats why jedi have a "pouch" on their belts ; )

*also option 2 allows for more "meat" for threads to reduce the chance of stripping the hole.
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

Okay thanks to all for the detail replies!

So its just a matter of personal preference I guess... Where would you put it? Any suggestions are welcome

What everyone else has said, I agree with. I would put mine in option 2 because I like it to grip as far up the blade as possible. Also, even though you have to bring an allen wrench or a screwdriver, depending on what retention screw you use, I think those are a lot better than thumbscrews. I've had times using a thumb screw where I tightened it as much as possible and the blade flew across the room while I was swinging it. This has happened multiple times, so for heavy dueling or swinging, the inconvenience of a little tool is small in comparison to injuries that might result otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Mandalorian I really appreciate your and everyone elses effort

I say option 2 as well. The threads will hold up better if they're deeper as they'll be less likely to get stripped.

I'd vote for option 2 as well. I'd also recommend the stainless steel set screws, oils and dirt from your hands can build up on regular black steel screws and cause them to rust faster.

If you're worried about carrying around an allen wrench, you could do what I did, and pick up one of those "jack knife" sets, take it apart and pinch the rounded end to fit on a keyring, that way you will always have it around.

key.jpg
    Last edited by Darth Odious; 09-30-2011 at 05:18 PM.