Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So... Just to be certain...

Basically I picked up that old complete bundle Strydur used to sell with the rebel star LED Amber, a 700mA buckpuck, and a battery pack. I figure that if I put some sort of diffuser over the LED, it'd work as a turn signal.

What did you mount the led to? These less we use in sabers require quite a bit of heat sinking for them to work properly. Without a proper heatsink, the led will overheat and burn out.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I used the heatsink that was provided. Seemed to work when running off the AA batteries. I got a very dim light from the LED and then it didn't work anymore. I'll reorder a buckpuck and the LED, rewire, and then see if it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Habuki Arcana Kuragari View Post
    I used the heatsink that was provided. Seemed to work when running off the AA batteries. I got a very dim light from the LED and then it didn't work anymore. I'll reorder a buckpuck and the LED, rewire, and then see if it's just me.
    What heatsink that is provided? Do you mean the aluminum star that the led is mounted on? If so, that is why it fried.
    You need to mount the led to one of these:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...sink-P234.aspx

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

The aluminum heat sink should have been just fine, did you use a thermal pad or paste to attach the star to the heatsink?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandau View Post
    The aluminum heat sink should have been just fine, did you use a thermal pad or paste to attach the star to the heatsink?
    I do not believe he used a heatsink but rather just the star that the led is mounted on. That is all that comes with the kit he was referring to.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Ah, then yeah. That would do it.

Then heat shouldn't have been a problem if it was attached to the copper heatsink. Could have been a short.