Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Boshwan527's Starkiller TFU1 Build - First Saber

Minor progress today. better than nothing though So I moved the ears back as much as I could without the old hole showing. It seems like it did the trick though...thoughts? I don't know, I got so used to it being the other way, now it looks weird again haha I haven't made it any shorter yet. That decision is harder to reverse lol.

I also cut some grips down to size. They look pretty good proportionally. I'm planning on tapping them through the bottom then using set screws to secure them to the main grip cylinder from underneath. Then Ill round them off and everything like in my model. That'll be my next step:

thanks for looking
    Last edited by boshwan527; 10-17-2011 at 04:54 PM.

The bunny ears will look proportional when you insert the emitter piece I believe. Looks great.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for. I think you're right though, I can't wait to get that part done.

The dark side grows stronger in me ever day I got the "grips" attached today and all finished up. It took my like four hours >

Last edited by boshwan527; 11-01-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Thanks guys! I'm really happy to have gotten this far. I started about a year ago and got the emitter shroud cut then stopped cuz I got overwhelmed with how much work I thought it would take. It's really starting to come together I'm not super excited about doing the crystal chamber, or the electronics for that matter. But maybe I can get some help with that later I have some ideas for the chamber, but I'm just hesitant to get started without a perfect idea. Maybe I'll pass my ideas by Sloth haha what I have is mostly derivative of his awesome stuff. (I hope that's ok!)

@ Rafalema: I modeled them in SolidWorks The pictures I have at the beginning of the thread are in Inventor though because my SW license expired and I work at Autodesk now haha

Thanks for the interest guys, definitely helps me stay motivated

I'm kinda mixed on your interpretation but I like how you're making it your own and the work looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I'm kinda mixed on your interpretation but I like how you're making it your own and the work looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    What is it you like better about the other one (or dislike on mine) if you don't mind me asking? Just curious

The ears on it look great but in this case I prefer the more graflex looking ones that are done often. The original ones seem to mimic the emitter like a graflex. The shallow angle of the emitter shroud leaves a little too much exposed both in length and depth. The lower portion of the shroud looks more comfortable but I've grown accustomed to seeing the square corners. I think the box might look better higher without the AV switch since the box can accommodate switches. All of these features look great on their own but I'm not sure if these alterations are the best choices to customizing a starkiller IMO. Just being picky. The work looks great and I might end up biting my tongue once it's done.

Thats funny about the emitter ears because thats what I've always liked the least about other starkillers. I totally feel you on the graflex feel though. It just seemed like they could never match up so I thought I'd try something different. I also see your point with the activation box being higher. That's originally how I had it in the drawings on the first page. I think that just came down to the fact I've really liked the lit AV switches and they're so long that was the only place I could put it.

And on your last point I hope that when I get the actual emitter in there that it migh look better I guess we'll see shortly. Thanks for the honest feedback, much appreciated.