Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arduino sound board (design process)

Default Arduino sound board (design process)

Hi guys, I have started making the first few steps towards designing an Arduino based sound board and I have realised that I need some outside input.
    I know there has already been a failed attempt at a community based sound board so I'm really determined to make this one work.
    Basically I wanted to start a thread on what people want and look for in a sound board, just a basic what is needed and what things make a sound board user friendly.

Fist things first what sort of price line should I keep this board to? I am hoping to make this sound board as a cheap (Hasbro like) alternative. As a guide I'm hoping to spend under $50

Second should I include a LED driver or RGB LED color control? I know there is a lot of confusion in the community about how to create different blade colors and it wouldn't be very hard to include a feature like this with the aid of the Arduino. If I were to do something with RGB control would it be better to do manual color control (with a potentiometer) or do the color control with the Arduino (program based color change) or would people find that to difficult to navigate?

These sort of questions are the ones I'm hoping to find answers to with this thread.
    If this threads a bit to deep for this forum or if its in conflict with store interests, also let me know. I don't want to start upsetting people.

Anyway, everybody's input is defiantly welcomed.

(edit)

Ok guys, I have a few new question for everyone.

How important is sound?

and

How loud dose the sound have to be?
    Last edited by Darth Magnus.; 09-30-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    So what, I made a cancer stick

Well more then anything i think a board that can handle high power is something lots of people are looking for. Everyone likes the 10 and 20 watt LED's. But Find me a sound board that can take 14 or 18 volts. I think if you build one around people that want high watt LED's it would be more then a little in demand.
    "A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
    "Choose what is right, not what is easy"

Excellent, thats another good point for me to think about. I will try to incorporate a high voltage input and high voltage switching.

High voltage input is a waste. High power just gets turned into heat.
    If you want to use ridiculously high powered LEDs there are well documented ways of doing so with boards that only put out 1.5A max.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I wasn't talking about a high power input, just a high voltage input. Just a built in voltage regulator (for its internal electronics) I dont want to take the full power of the Batter pack. this board is aimed at beginners. They dont need to know how it works, just plug it in to what ever system they build and play around.

A board that is rgb ready would be cool like 3 diff led hook ups. So you could set the mA or A different to each dye... But I'm eltronically impaired lol
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

I don't like to be a naysayer, but I would say if you're going for cheap then keep it simple.
    RGB mixing hardware etc, it adds up.

If you want to go all out then by all means have at it, but be prepared to spend some more.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Arduino is a notoriously effective platform for RGB color mixing. Just put it in a conf file.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

As far as your plans for an accelerometer you need to take the considerations between analog and digital ones.
    Digital ones would be easier to program but more clumsy with the swing sounds as the x,y,z are only on or off.
    Analog ones can give varying outputs that can be monitored for changes outside a desired range from previous sample readings to begin/end swing sound

The switching, potentiometer controls,onboard dipswitches, or a rotary switch for presets for individual rbg controls can increase cost and space used quickly.
    You could possibly use this persons work as a basis for single pot. control http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1207331496

Ive played with the Arduino before..

and IMHO.. while its can be FUN.. dont get set on some sort of retail 'product' ("I" feel it just wont happen that way)

bordering on if this should even be expanded on here on Tims forums.. I'll bring up many of the points that have been hashed out everytime this idea gets brought up by someone.

1.) taking a 'generic' platform like the Arduino/RFX..etc..etc will 'never' be as good as something designed for that specific purpose in mind.. (donest mean things cant be good..etc)

a bare bones 'arduino circuit' can be made for like $8 or something.... matter of fact here is one I made myself (etched the board,, designed the 'pcb'...etc) compared to a retail one I found on-line for around $10 or so..

also I think the board can only take up to 5v max..

compare_2.jpg

**(mine has a vRegulator on it.. the retail version does not)

Arduino doesnt just give you sound.. you'll need to most likely use someone elses code/library to get .wav files playing.. as well as implement an SD card.. and an 'amp' of some kind...

I have no clue on your experience level.... but speaking for myself.. not something that comes easy.

at this point not only are you just 'testing' a circuit.... where are you on room?.. also you havent even attempted to add in any LED driver.. (much less a 3-4 die RGBX driver addition)

Arduino can adjust the PWM of the pins.. but it can not power high power LEDS.. (only accent leds).... directly

You also wouldnt want to use a 'real' Arduino board in a saber each time.. as they are more a of a development board...

if you go ball bearing / nail & spring route for sensors.. you'll need to spend time on your code.. and figure out your own routine/algo for defining/triggering clash & swings..

if you go accelerometer..same things.. some events are easier than others to track

Good thing about Arduino is there is tons of community support on the internet.
    Last edited by xl97; 09-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.