Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K3GR1 - "Oxidium" by LDM

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Cool K3GR1 - "Oxidium" by LDM

K3GR1 "Oxidium"

This is a custom project that I have been working on for nearly a year. It started life as a black and gold anodized K3GR1 hilt from the 2008 Limited run. I wanted, of course, to do something that nobody else did. Well, I couldn't do that, but I decided to go ahead and do the second one with a chassis...and the first with a displayable crystal chamber. Jango did a very nice K3GR1 with a visible chamber which is VERY nice. I also had an idea that I wanted to try to give the effect of a Power Cell where the Sound Board would normally be in a chassis-ed saber. It is not perfect yet, but it fits the ancient feel of this saber well. The Oxidized phase III Bronzium weathering is amazing in person and I think that my Photo-fu finally took enough of a leap so that it translates into the Glam shots. SO to summarize, a Ancient K3GR1 with a ton of machined modifications, a new generation of weathering, a fully displayable Crystal Chassis and a CF 4.31 driving a Cree RGBW tuned to a nice OSPP Homage purple. I will include a link to the Build and machining albums for anyone interested in seeing how she came together.

The Particulars:
    CF 4.31 with:
    1. "Windu's Fury" by Nightstorm
    2. Korriban by Madcow
    3. Valkyrie by Shadeslinger
    4. Afterburn by Eastern57
    5. Ancient Saber by Novastar
    6. Crystal Chamber by Madcow
    CREE XR-E RGBW
    Weathered Quartz Crystal
    LDM Chassis
    Diatium Cell Screen
    (6) accent LEDs for an "inner works effect"
    7.4V Li-ion
    Hidden 2.1mm recharge/kill in chassis
    Oxidized Bronzium Phase III Weathering
    Weathered Leather inlaid grip

The HD BMT:

The Glams:

The Final Chassis/Sleeve Pictures:

And a Video with the Pot turned down...also shows and explains the chassis changes:

The links:

Build: http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...Oxidium/Build/

Machining: http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...GR1%20Oxidium/
    Last edited by Lord Dottore Matto; 09-20-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: New Video and updated chassis pix
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

love.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Very nice LDM. Love the weathering, how the saber tappers in the middle and the chassis on the back (well inside the back).
    Yub Yub Commander.

i love the way this turned out.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thanks fellas
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

A truly magnificent saber! The only thing I'm uncertain about is how the bright shiny copper looks out of place with the weathered parts. The weathering is exceptional. I've come to expect nothing less than amazing from LDM's shop, and this one doesn't disappoint!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by knighthammer View Post
    very nice ldm. Love the weathering, how the saber tappers in the middle and the chassis on the back (well inside the back). :d
    here-here!!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    A truly magnificent saber! The only thing I'm uncertain about is how the bright shiny copper looks out of place with the weathered parts. The weathering is exceptional. I've come to expect nothing less than amazing from LDM's shop, and this one doesn't disappoint!
    I am currently working on a "grille" (weathered of course) to replace the mesh with. I will update the photos when I have it. The mesh is indeed weathered and does show up in person, but I think this new idea will be much better. You guys can let me know when you see it

Nice, cool blade color.
    So what, I made a cancer stick

Council Member
    Sith Lord

She didn't feel quite right with the old mesh sleeve...so I built something more "age/motif" specific. The new pix and new video are posted in the first post.