Thread: First Saber Build + MHS Builder...help?

Default First Saber Build + MHS Builder...help?

Hey everyone.

I know, I'm n00b, and looking to start my first saber build. In all honesty, I really want to start "simple" and make a hilt. No fancy blade, etc, at least not yet.

I looked through the MHS builder, and the forums for saber building, but I still have some questions.

I wanted to build a replica of the ROTJ-style Luke lightsaber. I saw the one by Slothfurnace and was amazed and a little put out by it - I have no idea about those parts, dimensions, etc. If I had a parts list I would at least be able to know what needs to be machined, etc by looking at the diagrams.

My questions was this - does the MHS builder have the requisite parts for such a saber? I was looking at the designs and wasn't sure if the main body was supposed to be included, or if the lightsaber would be primarily made of the extensions and that ribbed extension piece. etc.

Can anyone provide some insight for me? I would appreciate it so much!

Actually, just further advice would be great. I found the parts on the site!

Welcome to the forums!

The parts for the saber are whatever you believe looks best. Using the standard main body, pommel, choke, blade holder (my first saber) gives you a more standard MHS hilt that looks great but you don't need any particular parts than a blade holder and a pommel. What you are looking for will utilize more of the extensions and ingenuity. A saber can pretty much be made out of any combination of the parts in the store just go into the builder throw different pieces together and see what you like the most. The gallery here is a great place to look for inspiration and see what others have done with MHS parts. Just continue to research and research and once you feel comfortable do a little more research. Everybody here spends hours looking over different posts. It takes a long time to get everything perfect, but hey thats half the fun of building a lightsaber. Just wait once you finish your first you'll turn right around and want to build another.

Good luck and welcome to an addicting hobby

What he said.

Most of us have started out very simple, like you're saying you want to. It's the best way because then you get to understand the process better before spending lots of money on this, which you probably will do in the long run.

Also, as WickedWharf said, research like crazy. You want to make sure everything is correct before you start. Post your parts list so that people can help you make sure you have everything. Use the search function to find issues that other people have had, and if you can't find an answer, ask a question. This is an awesome hobby and it's a lot of fun. Enjoy!

It's also worth noting that 90% of the work on sloth's builds are done by hand, by sloth. You won't be able to get the parts needed to make a replica as accurate as his from MHS alone, but you can certainly get a good start.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place