Thread: battery question

Default battery question

I want to work in the sound of my new saber Ki Adi Neo.

A small doubt. I think I will not have hole in the Ki Adi for 2 cell. Petit will work well with a one cell 18650 3.7v 3000 mAh?

It will work ok until battery voltage gets near led vf. Then slowly dim. Minimum 5v pack is recommended.

Correction- minimum of 3.3v is needed for the PC

I'm sure LDM and some other smiths have run a PC on a single cell before.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Yes, That too. When battery voltage gets around 3.5v the 3.3v for the processor will drop too. Then strange things can start to happen. Sound volume will drop as well. If it's a small hilt you will need a small speaker too. So I would find a way to fit 2 li ions in there.

Which would have the better run-time, a single 18650 or two 16340's in series?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

The 18650.
    But in this case the extra voltage would be better for certain components such as the audio amp.

"You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

so which would you recommend for casual dueling/display/Halloween?
    I've been curious myself, because they take up about the same amount of space, and I've designed a chassis element around that space, but wasn't sure which would perform better.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

If you don't mind charging it after every use you should be fine with casual use.

With a red led I might (prolly not) think about 1 18650. But with most greens & blues vf is around 4v, and 1 cell just doesn't have enough voltage for that.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KuroChou View Post
    so which would you recommend for casual dueling/display/Halloween?
    I've been curious myself, because they take up about the same amount of space, and I've designed a chassis element around that space, but wasn't sure which would perform better.
    Another option is to use two 16340's to make 7.2V. You would wire it as a stick pack, and it would be about the same size as a 18650 cell.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...