Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ARKM's Saltwater Etching Tutorial

This was a great read!! (Im really thinking about trying this)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Does this work with parts that are powder coated?

Powder coating would work like a resist. It should even resist the process better then paint. Although personally I have never tried it, it would be an interesting experiment.

FYI
    Powder coating is used on boats to resist the long term wear of salt water.

What Kaide said. Only bare metal would get etched.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Hi ARKM

I realize this is an old thread but I had a question.

Instead of using salt water could use an acid (ie. Lemon juice, vinegar, etc). And if so your suggestion?
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

There are people who do acid etching and with great results however I personally have not tried it. You don't need electricity with acid etching and the acid commonly used for etching is called ferric chloride. My current method of transferring an image to metal involves using laser printer toner instead of paint but I'm not sure if laser printer toner would work as a resist when using ferric chloride. However paint and clear packaging tape do work as a resist for acid etching. Goodman has an acid etching tutorial over at FX-Sabers.com. Here's the link... http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=39721.0 . Please be sure to read the warnings. Safety first and all that.

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Ah, sorry if I didn't make this clear enough. I am well aware of acid etching methods and I'm staying away from them because I have no way of disposing the acid afterwards :/.

What I was wondering is instead of using salt water as your catalyst or whatever function the salt water does (not sure what to call it :/) could you use another acid. I was doing some extra research and found people used lemon juice,vinegar, etc. I was just wondering if you'd ever tried them.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

Oh I see. No, I have not read about or tried using lemon juice or vinegar. About the only thing I have tried is adding copper sulfate crystals to salt water. When doing so I found that it eats at the aluminum rather fast and aggressively WITHOUT any electricity being used. Too fast and aggressive with the ratios I used anyways. Perhaps if I use less salt and less copper sulfate I could get a nice etch but it's really not worth the effort as it costs more money to add copper sulfate... but I suppose it's just another option/way of etching.

Okay thank you for the advice.