Thread: How to go about weathering a saber?

Default How to go about weathering a saber?

Im building a starkillerish MHS saber. After i paint it, and have it all set I will want to weather it. I was wondering how to do this, i thought ya just like put black aluminum stuff on it and wipped it off, but is there a definite way?

Nope. hehe. No definite way. Use some scrap aluminum to test out your own techniques and you can find techniques you're happy with. Aluminum black is one solution that is very popular but there are other chemical reactions/paint methods/treatments and sanding/filing that can create desired effect. I suggest doing some research and experimenting. It's fun. Modeling and antique/faux finishes are a good start.

Eastern57 came up with olive oil weathering...makes me wonder what pickle juice and dirty kitty litter would do. lol Maybe drag it behind a car on a dirt road. jk on the last one though I am curious.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 08-31-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Umm, is there a list of products though, i have no idea where to start.

Aluminum black works on aluminum, so if you're painting the saber you won't get much interaction on the painted surfaces. It does very nicely on unpainted aluminum though. To weather the painted surfaces, I've seen people do it with light sanding, scrubbing with steel wool, or just scratching it up with a file.

For lots of little dings and dents, I've always been a fan of putting the saber in a 5-gallon bucket (with lid) with a few handfuls of gravel, then kicking the bucket down a hill.

You could also try taking a blowtorch to the saber and try lightly scorching areas as well. There are many, many different ways to weather a saber. As CC mentioned, get a scrap piece of aluminum and experiment with it until you find a technique you like.

Also keep in mind, some weathering techniques should probably be done without electronics in the hilt. You really don't want your sound card in there while you're kicking it down the hill.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

You could always buy some of the stuff they sell at Modern Options called Sophisticated finishes.... We use that in the sign industry

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A lot depends on what you want the weathering to look like. That olive oil bake is for making a rusty look, but probably not the best fit if you want a "cared for, but old" feel.

thrgk, I recommend that you start searching through the gallery, or heck, just start cruising through google images for example of weathering that you could mimick. From there we can at least point you to a technique that could possibly match the look that you want.

Some google tags that yield awesome metal weathering are WWII guns, old shovel, and rusty bike

You could lend it to Er Dan Gill's boss. from what we all seen he will weather the heck out of it. I feel for that guy.
    "A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
    "Choose what is right, not what is easy"

For a used but not-so-old saber as a rotj luke, a black paint layer and you sand it. For a relic lightsaber, Eastern57 olive oil technique is easy and the results really amazing

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Knight View Post
    You could lend it to Er Dan Gill's boss. from what we all seen he will weather the heck out of it. I feel for that guy.
    EPIC LOL! True and true.