Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No sound on PC

Default No sound on PC

I've read a number of threads now on sound problems, all which have focused on when people changed sound fonts.

My current issue is that I can get no sound on power up. The only thing I've changed on the config file is the switch to 2 since I'm using a momentary AV illuminated. What am I missing?

Also, this little bugger gets really, really hot in specific spots. Is that normal?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sounds like it doesn't see the sd card. Some parts will get hot but they shouldn't burn you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    Sounds like it doesn't see the sd card. Some parts will get hot but they shouldn't burn you.
    When I'm touching these spots they definitely burn. What might be the issue w/ so much heat?

That should probably be the voltage regulator, little black part near the battery connections. What voltage are you applying to the board?
    And the easiest way to see whether the SD card is being recognized is if your switch LED lights when the board is powered. If this is the case then you might need to look at your speaker and its connections. Make sure you haven't put your wires through the holes on the pads, because you might be grounding the speaker out on the SD card holder.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Jucksta View Post
    When I'm touching these spots they definitely burn. What might be the issue w/ so much heat?
    Really? It like left a mark? Then maybe you shorted the regulator out.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

As Skottsaber said, be sure you DO NOT solder the wires through the holes as it will cause a short. Can you post a pic of the wiring?

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Lovely. Just what I wanted to hear. I had run the speaker wires through the holes.

In the included photos, they are wired correctly however. Also, in the photo, the ground wire for an accent light came loose.

I am running 7.4v. I've swapped the speakers twice now, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try another one.

So is there any salvaging this or did I just toast the whole thing? Any suggestions on where to go from here?

IMG_0054.jpg
    Last edited by Jucksta; 08-29-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Just going on what I have been told, read, and experienced. You should never put the wires in the holes and solder them, they get hot sometimes, mine do. I have installed 2 pc-u and really haven't had problems. My advice desolder all connections inspect the board for burns or melts, clean the solder pads either with a delidrrung bulb or desoldering braid. Then redo it, with out putting wires through the holes. If you still have the same issue, try hooking up a aux switch. Idk if you have to have one but worth a shot. From your picture nothing looks toast. Also someone but I don't know who can repair the board if it's toasted but I don't know who lol, but it can be pricey. Hope this helps my friend. Good luck
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The speaker wires are the most important ones that you do NOT solder through the holes. As mentioned above, I recommend unsoldering them, using some desolder to remove any solder that may have dripped through to the other side of the board and then resolder the speaker wires the correct way.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Soldering tips:

Tin everything (tm)
    That means take all the solder off of your pads, then add a bit of solder to them ,and restrip your wires, add a bit of solder to the end. Place wire onto pad and press down with your soldering iron.
    Use shorter wires. You don't need to have a lot of wire on the pad, and you have a lot sticking out from the pad, that wire can bend and break. Use about 1mm of stripped wire and make sure it is all "under" the solder on the pads. That will give you really good, strong connections.
    And, as it has been repeated, don't put the wires in the holes. It wasn't your fault as this isn't really detailed in the manual. Just lay the wires flat across the pads and surface mount them.

Oh and your regulator looks fine, don't worry, it is designed to get hot when the cells are at full charge. For parts like that, they are only going to fail when they reach temperatures that will come close to melting the solder, so I wouldn't worry.

Hope this helps and you get your board working

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent